Product Pathways - DNA Damage
Ape1 Antibody #4128
|W IF-F IF-IC||H M R (Mk)||Endogenous||34||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Ape1 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Ape1 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to amino acids surrounding Ala230 of human Ape1. Antibodies are purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
Ape1 (Apurinic/Apyrimidic eEndonuclease 1), also known as Ref1 (Redox effector factor 1), is a multifunctional protein with several biological activities. These include roles in DNA repair and in the cellular response to oxidative stress. Ape1 initiates the repair of abasic sites and is essential for the base excision repair (BER) pathway (1). Repair activities of Ape1 are stimulated by interaction with XRCC1 (2), another essential protein in BER. Ape1 functions as a redox factor that maintains transcription factors in an active, reduced state but can also function in a redox-independent manner as a transcriptional cofactor to control different cellular fates such as apoptosis, proliferation and differentiation (3). Increased expression of Ape1 is associated with many types of cancers including cervical, ovarian, prostate, rhabdomyosarcomas and germ cell tumors (4). Ape1 has been shown to stimulate DNA binding of several transcription factors known to be involved in tumor progression such as Fos, Jun, NF-κB, PAX, HIF-1, HLF and p53 (4). Mutation of the Ape1 gene has also been associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) (5,6).
- Demple, B. and Sung, J.S. (2005) DNA Repair (Amst) 4, 1442-9.
- Vidal, A.E. et al. (2001) EMBO J 20, 6530-9.
- Tell, G. et al. Antioxid Redox Signal 7, 367-84.
- Evans, A.R. et al. (2000) Mutat Res 461, 83-108.
- Olkowski, Z.L. (1998) Neuroreport 9, 239-42.
- Hayward, C. et al. (1999) Neurology 52, 1899-901.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2735 XRCC1 Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.