Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Calpastatin Antibody #4146
|W IP||H M R||Endogenous||120||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Calpastatin Antibody detects endogenous levels of total calpastatin protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to human calpastatin. Antibodies are purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
Calpain is a thiol proteinase that is functionally active as a heterodimer composed of a small regulatory subunit and one of at least two large catalytic subunits (calpain 1 or calpain 2). In vitro, calpain 1 (mu-calpain) requires micromolar levels of calcium, while calpain 2 (M-calpain) requires millimolar levels of calcium for activation (1). Calpastatin negatively regulates autoproteolytic cleavage of calpain 1 between Gly27 and Leu28 in a calcium dependent manner (2). In particular, calpastatin binds and inhibits calpain when calcium levels are high and is released when calcium levels go down. Calpastatin contains five domains, a unique N-terminal domain L with no inhibitory effects and four homologous domains (CAST 1-4) that can inhibit heterodimeric calpain 1 and 2 (3).
- Perrin, B.J. and Huttenlocher, A. (2002) Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34, 722-5.
- Melloni, E. et al. (1996) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 229, 193-7.
- Hanna, R.A. et al. (2007) FEBS Lett 581, 2894-8.
- Huang, Z. et al. (2011) J Biol Chem 286, 34830-8. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2556 Calpain 1 Large Subunit (Mu-type) Antibody
- 2539 Calpain 2 Large Subunit (M-type) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.