Product Pathways - PI3K / Akt Signaling
GSK-3α (D80E6) Rabbit mAb #4337
|W IP||H M R Hm Mk||Endogenous||51||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Hm=Hamster Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
GSK-3α (D80E6) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total GSK-3α protein. The antibody does not cross-react with GSK-3β.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the sequence of human GSK-3α protein.
Glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) was initially identified as an enzyme that regulates glycogen synthesis in response to insulin (1). GSK-3 is a ubiquitously expressed serine/threonine protein kinase that phosphorylates and inactivates glycogen synthase. GSK-3 is a critical downstream element of the PI3K/Akt cell survival pathway whose activity can be inhibited by Akt-mediated phosphorylation at Ser21 of GSK-3α and Ser9 of GSK-3β (2,3). GSK-3 has been implicated in the regulation of cell fate in Dictyostelium and is a component of the Wnt signaling pathway required for Drosophila, Xenopus, and mammalian development (4). GSK-3 has been shown to regulate cyclin D1 proteolysis and subcellular localization (5).
GSK-3α regulates the production of amyloid-β peptides, a major component of the plaques that accumulate with progression of Alzheimer disease. Administration of therapeutic concentrations of lithium, a GSK-3 inhibitor, attenuates amyloid-β production by specifically inhibiting the cleavage of amyloid precursor protein (APP) by γ-secretase, blocking accumulation of amyloid-β peptides in the brains of mice that overproduce APP (6).
- Welsh, G.I. et al. (1996) Trends Cell. Biol. 6, 274-279.
- Srivastava, A.K. and Pandey, S.K. (1998) Mol. Cell. Biochem. 182, 135-141.
- Cross, D.A. et al. (1995) Nature 378, 785-789.
- Nusse, R. (1997) Cell 89, 321-323.
- Diehl, J.A. et al. (1998) Genes Dev. 12, 3499-3511.
- Phiel, C.J. et al. (2003) Nature 423, 435-439.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4818 GSK-3α (D80D1) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 9323 Phospho-GSK-3β (Ser9) (5B3) Rabbit mAb
- 9322 Phospho-GSK-3-beta (Ser9) (D3A4) Rabbit mAb
- 9316 Phospho-GSK-3α (Ser21) (36E9) Rabbit mAb
- 9315 GSK-3β (27C10) Rabbit mAb
- 5676 GSK-3α/β (D75D3) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.