Product Pathways - Ca / cAMP / Lipid Signaling
Calmodulin Antibody #4830
Reactivity Key: M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Calmodulin Antibody detects endogenous levels of total calmodulin protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide surrounding Glu140 of human calmodulin. Antibodies are purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
Calmodulin is a ubiquitously expressed small protein mediating many cellular effects such as short-term and long-term memory, nerve growth, inflammation, apoptosis, muscle contraction and intracellular movement (1). Upon binding of four Ca2+ ions, calmodulin undergoes conformational changes, allowing this complex to bind to and activate many enzymes including protein kinases, protein phosphatases, ion channels, Ca2+ pumps, nitric oxide synthase, inositol triphosphate kinase, and cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase (2,3). Since calmodulin binds Ca2+ in a cooperative fashion, small changes in cytosolic Ca2+ levels lead to large changes in the level of active calmodulin and its target proteins (4).
- Persechini, A. et al. (1989) Trends Neurosci 12, 462-7.
- Finn, B.E. et al. (1995) Nat Struct Biol 2, 777-83.
- Agell, N. et al. (2002) Cell Signal 14, 649-54.
- Porter, J.A. et al. (1993) Science 262, 1038-42.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 3361 Phospho-CaMKII (Thr286) Antibody
- 3362 CaMKII (pan) Antibody
- 3760 Phospho-IP3 Receptor (Ser1756) Antibody
- 3763 IP3 Receptor Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.