Product Pathways - Adhesion
Claudin-1 Antibody #4933
|W IP||H (M) (R)||Endogenous||20||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Claudin-1 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total claudin-1 protein. Based on sequence similarity, the antibody may cross-react with claudin-2.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of mouse claudin-1. Antibodies are purified using protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from A431 and ZR-75 cells using Claudin-1 Antibody.
Tight junctions, or zonula occludens, form a continuous barrier to fluids across the epithelium and endothelium. They function in regulation of paracellular permeability and in the maintenance of cell polarity, blocking the movement of transmembrane proteins between the apical and the basolateral cell surfaces. Tight junctions are composed of claudin and occludin proteins, which join the junctions to the cytoskeleton (1,2). The claudin family is composed of 23 integral membrane proteins, and their expression, which varies among tissue types, may determine both the strength and properties of the epithelial barrier. Alteration in claudin protein expression pattern is associated with several types of cancer (2,3). Claudin-1 is expressed primarily in keratinocytes (4) and normal mammary epithelial cells, but is absent or reduced in breast carcinomas and breast cancer cell lines (5,6).
- Shin, K. et al. (2006) Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 22, 207-235.
- Oliveira, S.S. and Morgado-Díaz, J.A. (2007) Cell Mol. Life Sci. 64, 17-28.
- Hewitt, K.J. et al. (2006) BMC Cancer 6, 186.
- Brandner, J.M. et al. (2002) Eur. J. Cell Biol. 81, 253-263.
- Krämer, F. et al. (2000) Hum. Genet. 107, 249-256.
- Swisshelm, K. et al. (1999) Gene 226, 285-295.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.