Product Pathways - Metabolism
SGLT1 Antibody #5042
Reactivity Key: H=Human R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
SGLT1 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total SGLT1 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Gly247 of human SGLT1 protein. Antibodies were purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Sodium/glucose cotransporter 1 (SGLT1) is an active glucose transporter, which utilizes sodium gradients to transport glucose into cells independent of extracellular glucose concentration. SGLT1 is an essential glucose active transport protein that helps maintain high intracellular glucose levels (1). Expression of SGLT1 is mainly seen in intestinal and kidney epithelial cells, although a recent study also characterized SGLT1 expression in cardiac myocytes (2). Abnormal SGLT1 expression may be associated with cases of type 2 diabetes mellitus and myocardial ischaemia (2). Mutation of the corresponding SGLT1 gene can result in congenital glucose/galactose malabsorption, which can lead to neonatal diarrhea and subsequent death if left untreated (3). A recent study of the role of EGFR in cancer cell survival indicates that EGFR can prevent autophagic cell death independent of EGFR kinase activity because the receptor interacts with and stabilizes SLGT1 to maintain basal intracellular glucose levels (4).
- Wright, E.M. et al. (1994) J Exp Biol 196, 197-212.
- Banerjee, S.K. et al. (2009) Cardiovasc Res 84, 111-8.
- Martín, M.G. et al. (1996) Nat Genet 12, 216-20.
- Weihua, Z. et al. (2008) Cancer Cell 13, 385-93.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.