Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
ELP1/IKBKAP Antibody #5071
|W IP||H Mk||Endogenous||150||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
ELP1/IKBKAP Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total ELP1/IKBKAP protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the carboxy terminus of human ELP1/IKBKAP protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Elongator is a highly conserved transcription elongation factor complex that was first identified in yeast as part of the hyperphosphorylated RNA polymerase II (RNAPII) holoenzyme (1). The Elongator complex consists of 6 subunits, ELP1-6, and has been shown to have acetyltransferase activity (2). The acetylation targets of Elongator include histone H3, which is linked to the transcription elongation function of the complex, and α-tubulin, which is associated with regulation of migration and maturation of projection neurons (3-6).
The ELP1/IKBKAP subunit of Elongator was initially thought to function as a scaffolding protein within the NFκB signaling pathway (7). It contains several WD40 domains and is critical for the formation of the Elongator complex (8). Investigators have determined that mutations in ELP1 are the cause of Familial Dysautonomia (FD), an autosomal recessive neurodegenerative disorder (9). Research studies have demonstrated that defects in Elongator function upon ELP1 mutation affect transcription elongation of several genes involved in cell motility and neuronal development that may be the underlying cause of the neuropathology of FD patients (10,11).
- Otero, G. et al. (1999) Mol Cell 3, 109-18.
- Creppe, C. and Buschbeck, M. (2011) J Biomed Biotechnol 2011, 924898.
- Wittschieben, B.O. et al. (1999) Mol Cell 4, 123-8.
- Hawkes, N.A. et al. (2002) J Biol Chem 277, 3047-52.
- Kim, J.H. et al. (2002) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99, 1241-6.
- Creppe, C. et al. (2009) Cell 136, 551-64.
- Cohen, L. et al. (1998) Nature 395, 292-6.
- Frohloff, F. et al. (2003) J Biol Chem 278, 956-61.
- Anderson, S.L. et al. (2001) Am J Hum Genet 68, 753-8.
- Close, P. et al. (2006) Mol Cell 22, 521-31.
- Cohen-Kupiec, R. et al. (2011) PLoS One 6, e19147.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 2629 Rpb1 CTD (4H8) Mouse mAb
- 4735 Phospho-Rpb1 CTD (Ser2/5) Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.