Product Pathways - Metabolism
ADH1 Antibody #5295
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
ADH1 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total ADH1 protein. The antigen is 100% conserved between human ADH1A, ADH1B and ADH1C proteins.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Val74 of human ADH1B protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Human alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) genes are grouped into five classes, with three distinct class I ADH genes (ADH1A, ADH1B and ADH1C) and ADH4, ADH5, ADH7 and ADH6 belonging to classes II, III, IV, and V, respectively. ADH is a zinc-containing, dimeric enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of cytosolic alcohol to acetaldehyde in the liver with the coenzyme NAD (1). ADH1A is monomorphic and is the predominant fetal and neonatal liver ADH enzyme. In contrast, polymorphic ADH1B and ADH1C enzymes are predominant in adult livers (2). Polymorphisms in the human class I ADH genes result in functionally variable ADH enzymes; evidence suggests that specific variants may provide protection from the risk of alcoholism (3).
- Edenberg, H.J. (2000) Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 64, 295-341.
- Su, J.S. et al. (2006) J Biol Chem 281, 19809-21.
- Chen, C.C. et al. (1999) Am J Hum Genet 65, 795-807.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.