Product Pathways - Development
Msx1 (P5) Antibody #5378
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Msx1 (P5) Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Msx1 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to amino acid sequences surrounding Pro5 of human Msx1 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Msh homeobox 1 (Msx1) is a Muscle Segment Homeobox (Msh) gene family member that acts as a transcriptional repressor during embryonic development, playing an important role in limb pattern formation, craniofacial development, and tooth development (1-3). Msx1 is expressed in the mesenchyme of the developing nail bed (2) and in fetal hair follicles, epidermis and fibroblasts; reduced expression is seen in adult epithelial-derived tissues (4). Msx1 acts in concert with the Wnt1 network to establish the midbrain dopaminergic progenator domain, a region that gives rise to neurons that are critical for normal brain function and are the cells affected in Parkinson disease (5). Mutation in the corresponding Msx1 gene correlates with abnormal tooth development in patients diagnosed with Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome (6). Other genetic changes in the Msx1 gene result in Witkop Syndrome ("tooth and nail syndrome") and cases of abnormal tooth development associated with non-syndromic orofacial clefting (2,7).
- Jezewski, P.A. et al. (2003) J Med Genet 40, 399-407.
- Jumlongras, D. et al. (2001) Am J Hum Genet 69, 67-74.
- Lidral, A.C. and Reising, B.C. (2002) J Dent Res 81, 274-8.
- Stelnicki, E.J. et al. (1997) Differentiation 62, 33-41.
- Andersson, E. et al. (2006) Cell 124, 393-405.
- Nieminen, P. et al. (2003) J Dent Res 82, 1013-7.
- van den Boogaard, M.J. et al. (2000) Nat Genet 24, 342-3.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 4787 Msx1 (G116) Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.