Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Phospho-Tau (Thr181) Antibody #5383
|W IP||H M R (Mk)||Endogenous||50-80||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Tau (Thr181) Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of Tau protein only when phosphorylated at Thr181.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Thr181 of human Tau protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from mouse and rat brain using Tau (Tau46) Mouse mAb #4019 (red) and Phospho-Tau (Thr181) Antibody (green). The phospho-specificity of Phospho-Tau (Thr181) Antibody was verified by peptide blocking using a phosphopeptide or non-phosphopeptide. Western blot image was obtained using the Odyssey® Infrared Imaging System (LI-COR® Biotechnology).
Tau is a heterogeneous microtubule-associated protein that promotes and stabilizes microtubule assembly, especially in axons. Six isoforms with different amino-terminal inserts and different numbers of tandem repeats near the carboxy terminus have been identified, and tau is hyperphosphorylated at approximately 25 sites by Erk, GSK-3, and CDK5 (1,2). Phosphorylation decreases the ability of tau to bind to microtubules. Neurofibrillary tangles are a major hallmark of Alzheimer's disease; these tangles are bundles of paired helical filaments composed of hyperphosphorylated tau. In particular, phosphorylation at Ser396 by GSK-3 or CDK5 destabilizes microtubules. Furthermore, research studies have shown that inclusions of tau are found in a number of other neurodegenerative diseases, collectively known as tauopathies (1,3).
The cerebrospinal fluid concentration of Tau phosphorylated at Thr181 has been proposed to be a biomarker for the study of neurodegenerative disorders (4).
- Johnson , G.V. and Stoothoff , W.H. (2004) J. Cell Sci. 117, 5721-5729.
- Hanger, D. P. et al. (1998) J. Neurochem. 71, 2465-2476.
- Bramblett, G. T. et al. (1993) Neuron 10, 1089-1099.
- Mitchell, A.J. (2009) J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80, 966-75.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 9632 Phospho-Tau (Ser396) (PHF13) Mouse mAb
- 4019 Tau (Tau46) Mouse mAb
- 9784 Alzheimer Disease Antibody Sampler Kit
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.