Product Pathways - Neuroscience
PEN2 Antibody #5451
|W||H M R Mk||Endogenous||13||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
PEN2 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total PEN2 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Lys11 of human PEN2 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Presenilin Enhancer 2 (PEN2) is a small integral membrane glycoprotein that contains two recognized transmembrane domains. Both the N- and C-terminal domains are oriented into the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum (1). PEN2, along with Presenilin 1, Presenilin 2, Nicastrin, and APH-1 form the protein complex γ-secretase (2). The proteinase BACE catalyses the initial step in APP processing by cleaving and releasing soluble APPβ (3). The remaining membrane bound APP is then cleaved by the γ-secretase complex, causing the release of amyloid β-peptide, the main constituent of amyloid plaques. These plaques are a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease pathology (2). In addition to APP, the γ-secretase complex cleaves several other proteins and necessary presenilin-dependent signaling cascades, including the Notch pathway (4). It was found that PEN2 is an important part of the γ-secretase complex, and knocking it down results in reduced amounts of the complex, resulting in a loss of γ-secretase activity (5).
- Sala Frigerio, C. et al. (2005) J Neurol 252, 1033-6.
- Hansson, C.A. et al. (2004) J Biol Chem 279, 51654-60.
- Hunt, C.E. and Turner, A.J. (2009) FEBS J 276, 1845-59.
- St George-Hyslop, P. and Schmitt-Ulms, G. (2010) Nature 467, 36-7.
- Steiner, H. et al. (2002) J Biol Chem 277, 39062-5.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.