Product Pathways - Apoptosis
Atg14 Antibody #5504
|W IP||H M R (Mk)||Endogenous||65||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Atg14 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Atg14 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies were prepared from animals immunized with a synthetic peptide corresponding to a region surrounding Val215 of human Atg14. Antibodies were purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, transfected with 100 nM SignalSilence® Control siRNA (Unconjugated) #6568 (-), SignalSilence® Atg14 siRNA I #6286 (+) or SignalSilence® Atg14 siRNA II #6287 (+), using Atg14 Antibody #5504 (upper) or β-Tubulin (9F3) Rabbit mAb #2128 (lower). The Atg14 Antibody confirms silencing of Atg14 expression, while the β-Tubulin (9F3) Rabbit mAb is used as a loading control.
Western blot analysis of extracts from 293T cells, mock transfected (-) or transfected with a GFP-Atg14 construct (+), using Atg14 Antibody. GFP-Atg14 construct was kindly provided by Dr. Qing Zhong, University of California, Berkeley CA.
Autophagy is a catabolic process for the autophagosomic-lysosomal degradation of bulk cytoplasmic contents (1,2). Autophagy is generally activated by conditions of nutrient deprivation but is also associated with a number of physiological processes including development, differentiation, neurodegeneration, infection, and cancer (3). The molecular machinery of autophagy was largely discovered in yeast and is directed by a number of autophagy-related (Atg) genes. These proteins are involved in the formation of autophagosomes, which are cytoplasmic vacuoles that are delivered to lysosomes for degradation. The class III type phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K) Vps34 regulates vacuolar trafficking and autophagy (4,5). Multiple proteins associate with Vps34, including p105/Vps15, Beclin-1, UVRAG, Atg14, and Rubicon (6-12). Atg14L and Rubicon were identified based on their ability to bind to Beclin-1 and participate in unique complexes with opposing functions (9-12). Rubicon, which localizes to the endosome and lysosome, inhibits Vps34 lipid kinase activity; knockdown of Rubicon enhances autophagy and endocytic trafficking (11,12). In contrast, Atg14L localizes to autophagosomes, isolation membranes, and ER and can enhance Vps34 activity. Knockdown of Atg14L inhibits starvation-induced autophagy (11,12).
- Reggiori, F. and Klionsky, D.J. (2002) Eukaryot Cell 1, 11-21.
- Codogno, P. and Meijer, A.J. (2005) Cell Death Differ 12 Suppl 2, 1509-18.
- Levine, B. and Yuan, J. (2005) J Clin Invest 115, 2679-88.
- Corvera, S. (2001) Traffic 2, 859-66.
- Yan, Y. and Backer, J.M. (2007) Biochem Soc Trans 35, 239-41.
- Stack, J.H. et al. (1995) J Cell Biol 129, 321-34.
- Zeng, X. et al. (2006) J Cell Sci 119, 259-70.
- Liang, C. et al. (2006) Nat Cell Biol 8, 688-99.
- Itakura, E. et al. (2008) Mol Biol Cell 19, 5360-72.
- Sun, Q. et al. (2008) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 19211-6.
- Zhong, Y. et al. (2009) Nat Cell Biol 11, 468-76.
- Matsunaga, K. et al. (2009) Nat Cell Biol 11, 385-96.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 6286 SignalSilence® Atg14 siRNA I
- 6287 SignalSilence® Atg14 siRNA II
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.