Product Pathways - Metabolism
ABCC4 Antibody #5624
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
ABCC4 Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total ABCC4 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Lys1021 of human ABCC4 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
ABCC4 is a member of the ATP-binding Cassette (ABC) transporter family. ABC proteins transport various molecules across cellular membranes by utilizing the energy generated from ATP hydrolysis. There are seven subfamilies of ABC proteins: ABC1, MDR/TAP, MRP, ALD, OABP, GCN20, and White (1). ABCC4 belongs to the MRP subfamily, which is involved in multi-drug resistance, hence it is also named MRP4. ABCC4 is widely expressed in cells and tissues including prostate, kidney proximal tubules, astrocytes and capillary endothelial cells of the brain, platelets, and many cancer cell lines (2-4). ABCC4 mediates efflux transport of a wide variety of endogenous and xenobiotic organic anionic compounds (5). The diversity of substrates determines the biological functions of ABCC4. It regulates cAMP levels in human leukemia cells, thereby controlling the proliferation and differentiation of leukemia cells (6). ABCC4 also enables COX deficient pancreatic cancer cells to obtain exogenous prostagladins (7). Researchers have shown that ABCC4 expression is elevated in drug resistant cancer cells, which makes it a potential target for cancer therapy (8,9). ABCC4 localizes to both plasma membrane and intracellular membranous structures (10). Investigators have also implicated ABCC4 in the pathogenesis of Kawasaki desease, a genetic childhood disease characterized by vasculitis (11).
- Nakanishi, T. Cancer Genomics Proteomics 4, 241-54.
- Kool, M. et al. (1997) Cancer Res 57, 3537-47.
- Lee, K. et al. (1998) Cancer Res 58, 2741-7.
- Nies, A.T. et al. (2004) Neuroscience 129, 349-60.
- Giacomini, K.M. et al. (2010) Nat Rev Drug Discov 9, 215-36.
- Copsel, S. et al. (2011) J Biol Chem 286, 6979-88.
- Omura, N. et al. (2010) Mol Cancer Res 8, 821-32.
- Bronger, H. et al. (2005) Cancer Res 65, 11419-28.
- Hagmann, W. et al. (2009) Pancreatology 9, 136-44.
- Rius, M. et al. (2008) J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324, 86-94.
- Khor, C.C. et al. (2011) J Med Genet 48, 467-72.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 4446 MRP2 (R260) Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.