Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Non-phospho-STEP (Ser221) (D74H3) XP® Rabbit mAb #5659
|W IP IF-F||H M R||Endogenous||46, 61||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Non-phospho-STEP (Ser221) (D74H3) XP® Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of STEP61 protein only when dephosphorylated at Ser221 and of STEP46 protein when dephosphorylated at Ser49.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic nonphosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser221 of human STEP61 protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from rat brain and mouse brain using Non-phospho-STEP (Ser221) (D74H3) XP® Rabbit mAb. The nonphospho-specificity of the antibody was verified by preincubating the antibody without peptide, with STEP61 (Ser221) non-phosphopeptide, or with STEP61 (Ser221) phosphopeptide prior to incubation with the membrane.
Striatal enriched phosphatase (STEP, also known as PTPN5), is a protein tyrosine phosphatase expressed in dopaminoceptive neurons of the central nervous system (1). Alternative splicing produces the cytosolic STEP46 and the membrane-associated STEP61 isoforms of STEP. Dopamine activates D1 receptors and PKA, which in turn phosphorylate both isoforms of STEP. Phosphorylation of STEP61 occurs at Ser160 and Ser221, while STEP46 is phosphorylated at Ser49 (equivalent to Ser221 of STEP61) (2). NMDA-mediated activation of STEP is an important mechanism for regulation of Erk activity in neurons (3). Furthermore, STEP is involved in the regulation of both NMDAR and AMPAR trafficking (4,5). Due to its importance in cognitive function, STEP may play a role in Alzheimer's disease (1).
Activity of STEP61 is reduced upon phosphorylation of Ser221 (Ser49 of STEP46) due to lower affinity for its substrates (2).
- Braithwaite, S.P. et al. (2006) Trends Neurosci 29, 452-8.
- Paul, S. et al. (2000) J Neurosci 20, 5630-8.
- Paul, S. et al. (2003) Nat Neurosci 6, 34-42.
- Braithwaite, S.P. et al. (2006) Eur J Neurosci 23, 2847-56.
- Zhang, Y. et al. (2008) J Neurosci 28, 10561-6.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4817 STEP Antibody
- 4396 STEP (23E5) Mouse mAb
- 4027 Phospho-AMPA Receptor (GluR 2) (Tyr876) Antibody
- 3437 AMPA Receptor (GluR 3) Antibody
- 4206 Phospho-NMDAR2A (Tyr1246) Antibody
- 4208 Phospho-NMDAR2B (Tyr1472) Antibody
- 4212 NMDAR2B (D15B3) Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.