Product Pathways - Neuroscience
EAAT1 (D20D5) Rabbit mAb #5685
|5685S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|5685||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat||Endogenous||58||Rabbit IgG|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation
Specificity / Sensitivity
EAAT1 (D20D5) Rabbit mAb recognizes endogenous levels of total EAAT1 protein.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Glu230 of human EAAT1 protein.
Glutamate is the major excitatory neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system. During neurotransmission, glutamate is released from vesicles of the pre-synaptic cell, and glutamate receptors (e.g. NMDA Receptor, AMPA Receptor) bind glutamate for activation at the opposing post-synaptic cell. Excitatory amino acid transporters (EAATs) regulate and maintain extracellular glutamate concentrations below excitotoxic levels. In addition, glutamate transporters may limit the duration of synaptic excitation by an electrogenic process in which the transmitter is cotransported with three sodium ions and one proton, followed by countertransport of a potassium ion. Five EAATs (EAAT1-5) are characterized: EAAT2 (GLT-1) is primarily expressed in astrocytes but is also expressed in neurons of the retina and during fetal development (1). Homozygous EAAT2 knockout mice have spontaneous, lethal seizures and an increased predisposition to acute cortical injury (2). PKC phosphorylates Ser113 of EAAT2 and coincides with glutamate transport (3).
EAAT2 accounts for up to 90% of the total glutamate transport in brain while EAAT1 contributes the remaining 5-10% (4). The contribution of EAAT1 in neurotransmission is unclear since EAAT2 is much more abundant. However, EAAT1 expression is upregulated by increasing concentrations of glutamate in the media of cultured primary astrocytes, potentially giving this glutamate transporter additional importance (5). EAAT1 has neuroprotective potential following ischemia since reactive astrocytes and activated microglia express EAAT1 but not EAAT2 (6).
- Amara, S.G. and Fontana, A.C. (2002) Neurochem Int 41, 313-8.
- Tanaka, K. et al. (1997) Science 276, 1699-702.
- Casado, M. et al. (1993) J Biol Chem 268, 27313-7.
- Hediger, M.A. (1999) Am J Physiol 277, F487-92.
- Gegelashvili, G. et al. (1996) Neuroreport 8, 261-5.
- Beschorner, R. et al. (2007) Histopathology 50, 897-910.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 5684 EAAT1 (D44E2) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween® 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.