Product Pathways - Translational Control
Phospho-PRAS40 (Ser183) Antibody #5936
|W IP||H M (R)||Endogenous||40||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-PRAS40 (Ser183) Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of PRAS40 protein only when phosphorylated at Ser183.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser183 of human PRAS40 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, untreated or treated with LY294002 #9901 (with and without serum starvation) or with Rapamycin #9904, using Phospho-PRAS40 (Ser183) Antibody (upper) or PRAS40 (D23C7) XP® Rabbit mAb #2691 (lower).
Many growth factors and hormones induce the phosphoinositide 3-kinase signaling pathway, which results in the activation of downstream effector proteins such as the serine/threonine kinase Akt (1,2). One known Akt substrate is a 40 kDa, proline-rich protein (PRAS40) that binds to 14-3-3 proteins (2). PRAS40 also binds mTOR to transduce Akt signals to the mTOR complex. Inhibition of mTOR signaling stimulates PRAS40 binding to mTOR, which in turn inhibits mTOR activity (3). PRAS40 interacts with raptor in mTOR complex 1 (mTORC1) in insulin-deprived cells and inhibits the activation of the mTORC1 pathway mediated by the cell cycle protein Rheb. Phosphorylation of PRAS40 by Akt at Thr246 relieves PRAS40 inhibition of mTORC1 (4). mTORC1 in turn phosphorylates PRAS40 at Ser183 (5).
- Cantley, L.C. (2002) Science 296, 1655-7.
- Kovacina, K.S. et al. (2003) J Biol Chem 278, 10189-94.
- Vander Haar, E. et al. (2007) Nat Cell Biol 9, 316-23.
- Sancak, Y. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 25, 903-15.
- Oshiro, N. et al. (2007) J Biol Chem 282, 20329-39.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2997 Phospho-PRAS40 (Thr246) (C77D7) Rabbit mAb
- 2640 Phospho-PRAS40 (Thr246) Antibody
- 2691 PRAS40 (D23C7) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 2610 PRAS40 Antibody
- 2083 Phospho-Raptor (Ser792) Antibody
- 2280 Raptor (24C12) Rabbit mAb
- 2974 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2481) Antibody
- 2971 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) Antibody
- 2972 mTOR Antibody
- 2983 mTOR (7C10) Rabbit mAb
- 3227 GβL Antibody
- 3274 GβL (86B8) Rabbit mAb
- 2140 Rictor Antibody
- 2114 Rictor (53A2) Rabbit mAb
- 9864 mTOR Regulation Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9964 mTOR Pathway Antibody Sampler Kit
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
- 8101 SignalSlide® Phospho-Akt (Ser473) IHC Controls
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.