Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Merlin (D1D8) Rabbit mAb #6995
|W IP||H M R||Endogenous||70||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Merlin (D1D8) Rabbit mAb recognizes endogenous levels of total Merlin protein.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino terminus of human Merlin protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from fetal rat brain, and both wild type and NF2(-/-) mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) using Merlin (D1D8) Rabbit mAb (upper) and Ezrin/Radixin/Moesin Antibody #3142 (lower). (MEF wt and MEF NF2(-/-) cells were kindly provided by Dr. Andrea McClatchey and Dr. Andrew Gladden, MGH Cancer Center and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown MA).
Neurofibromatosis 2 (NF2) is an autosomal dominant inherited disorder that is characterized by the occurrence of vestibular schwannomas, meningiomas, and other nervous system tumors. Both the familial tumors of NF2 and equivalent sporadic tumors in the general population are caused by inactivation of the NF2 tumor suppressor gene. Merlin (moesin, ezrin, and radixin like protein), the NF2 gene product, has striking similarity to ezrin, radixin, and moesin (ERM). Regulation of merlin (aka schwannomin) and ERM proteins involves intramolecular and intermolecular head-to-tail associations between family members (1). Merlin and ERM proteins act as linkers between the plasma membrane and the cytoskeleton, affecting cell morphology, polarity, and signal transduction (2). Merlin is phosphorylated by the Rac/Cdc42 effector p21-activated kinase (PAK) at Ser518, negatively regulating Rac (3,4).
- Ramesh, V. (2004) Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 5, 462-470.
- Bretscher, A. et al. (2002) Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 3, 586-599.
- Xiao, G. H. et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277, 883-886.
- Kissil, J. L. et al. (2003) Mol. Cell 12, 841-849.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9163 Phospho-Merlin (Ser518) Antibody
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
- 9998 BSA
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween 20 (TBST-10X)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 3142 Ezrin/Radixin/Moesin Antibody
- 3145 Ezrin Antibody
- 2602 PAK1 Antibody
- 2604 PAK1/2/3 Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.