Product Pathways - Apoptosis
Puma Antibody (Rodent Specific) #7467
|W IP||M R||Endogenous||23||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Puma Antibody (Rodent Specific) recognizes endogenous levels of total Puma protein in mouse and rat.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Pro75 of mouse Puma protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Puma (p53 upregulated modulator of apoptosis) is a "BH3-only" Bcl-2 family member originally identified in differential gene expression studies as a p53-inducible gene (1,2). The "BH3-only" family members include Bad, Bid, Bik, Hrk, Bim, and Noxa, all of which contain a BH3 domain but lack other conserved domains, BH1 and BH2, and generally promote apoptosis by binding to and antagonizing anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family members through BH3 domain interactions (3). Two BH3-containing proteins are produced from the puma gene, Puma-α and Puma-β, both of which are induced by p53, bind Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL, localize to the mitochondria, and promote cyctochrome c release and apoptosis (1,2). Puma plays a critical role in the p53 tumor suppressor pathway. Targeted disruption of the puma gene impairs p53-mediated apoptosis and tumor suprression (4-7). Puma knockout mice show defects from multiple apoptotic stimuli, including ionizing irradiation, deregulated c-Myc expression, and cytokine withdrawal (4).
- Yu, J. et al. (2001) Mol. Cell 7, 673-682.
- Nakano, K. and Vousden, K.H. (2001) Mol. Cell 7, 683-694.
- Bouillet, P. and Strasser, A. (2002) J. Cell Sci. 115, 1567-1574.
- Jeffers, J.R. et al. (2003) Cancer Cell 4, 321-328.
- Hemann, M.T. et al. (2004) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101, 9333-9338.
- Yu, J. et al. (2003) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 1931-1936.
- Villunger, A. et al. (2003) Science 302, 1036-1038.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4976 Puma Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.