Product Pathways - Ca / cAMP / Lipid Signaling
Gelsolin Antibody #8090
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Gelsolin Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total gelsolin protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Val377 of human gelsolin protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Gelsolin (actin-depolymerizing factor, ADF, AGEL, Brevin) is an 83 kDa protein that shares structural and functional homology to villin and adseverin/scinderin (1,2). Gelsolin plays an important role in actin filament assembly by capping and severing actin proteins in a Ca2+-dependent manner (3,4). Gelsolin is important for cellular events (e.g., membrane ruffling, chemotaxis, ciliogenesis) that require cytoskeletal remodeling (3); accordingly, cells from gelsolin knockout mice exhibit motility defects, including a failure to ruffle in response to growth factor stimulation (5,6). In humans, defects in gelsolin have been linked to amyloidosis type 5 (AMYL5), a hereditary disease characterized by cranial neuropathy, which appears to result from gelsolin amyloid deposition (7).
- Vitale, M.L. et al. (1991) J Cell Biol 113, 1057-67.
- Lueck, A. et al. (1998) J Cell Sci 111 ( Pt 24), 3633-43.
- Sun, H.Q. et al. (1999) J Biol Chem 274, 33179-82.
- Li, G.H. et al. (2010) Med Res Rev, Epub ahead of print.
- Azuma, T. et al. (1998) EMBO J 17, 1362-70.
- Lu, M. et al. (1997) J Cell Biol 138, 1279-87.
- Haltia, M. et al. (1990) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 167, 927-32.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2369 Villin-1 (R814) Antibody
- 7075 Anti-biotin, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 6469 SignalSilence® Gelsolin siRNA I
- 6473 SignalSilence® Gelsolin siRNA II
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.