Product Pathways - Cell Cycle / Checkpoint
Sestrin-2 (D1B6) Rabbit mAb #8487
|W IP||H Mk||Endogenous||56||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Sestrin-2 (D1B6) Rabbit mAb recognizes overexpressed levels of total sestrin-2 protein, as well as endogenous levels of sestrin-2 protein when expression is high.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues near the amino terminus of human sestrin-2 protein.
Western blot analysis of extracts from COS-7 cells, mock transfected (-) or transfected with a construct overexpressing full-length human sestrin-2 (hSestrin-2; +), using Sestrin-2 (D1B6) Rabbit mAb.
The Sestrin family of proteins, which comprises sestrin-1 (PA26), sestrin-2 (Hi95), and sestrin-3, plays an important role in regulating the cellular response to oxidative stress. Sestrin-1 and -2, both transcriptional targets of p53, have been shown to activate AMPK activity toward TSC2, ultimately resulting in the inhibition of mTOR (1). Thus, sestrin-1 and -2 link p53 signaling to the regulation of cellular growth (2). Sestrins have also been shown to function as modulators of cellular hydrogen peroxide concentration. Hydrogen peroxide is an important signaling molecule that is highly genotoxic and must therefore be tightly regulated (3). 2-Cys peroxiredoxins are metabolizing enzymes that maintain low cellular concentrations of hydrogen peroxide, but are hyperoxidized to an inactive state by a rapid increase in concentration (4) before quickly being reduced back to their active state by sestrins (5). This allows a hydrogen peroxide signal to temporarily circumvent the protective activity of 2-Cys peroxiredoxins, while minimizing oxidative damage.
- Budanov, A.V. and Karin, M. (2008) Cell 134, 451-60.
- Wullschleger, S. et al. (2006) Cell 124, 471-84.
- Veal, E.A. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 26, 1-14.
- Jönsson, T.J. and Lowther, W.T. (2007) Subcell Biochem 44, 115-41.
- Budanov, A.V. et al. (2004) Science 304, 596-600.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.