Product Pathways - Vesicle Trafficking
Importin β1 Antibody #8673
|W IP||H M R||Endogenous||97||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Importin β1 Antibody detects endogeneous levels of total importin β1 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Pro307 of human importin β1 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Importins belong to the karyopherin family of nuclear transport proteins (1) and are divided into two subgroups: importin α and importin β. Importins mainly function in nuclear protein import and export (2,3). Importin β1 (also known as karyopherin β1, Kpnβ1, Kpnb1, or p97) plays a key role in the nuclear import process (1-3). Nuclear import via importin β1 association with adaptor importin α (also known as karyopherin α, or Kpnα) is an essential component of the classical nuclear localization signal (NLS) pathway (4). Importin α directly recognizes the NLS present in the cargo taget, prompting complex formation with importin β1. The cargo:importin α:importin β1 complex is transported across the nuclear pore complex (NPC) into the nucleus, where it is dissociated by the binding of RanGTP (1-4). Nuclear import directly via importin β1 can also occur by importin β1 recognition of the cargo protein, bypassing importin α involvement. In both cases, the importin β1/target protein interaction is mediated through the binding of importin β1 HEAT repeats with the target protein sequences (either the cargo protein itself or importin α) (5).
- Chook, Y.M. and Blobel, G. (2001) Curr Opin Struct Biol 11, 703-15.
- Pemberton, L.F. and Paschal, B.M. (2005) Traffic 6, 187-98.
- Moroianu, J. (1998) J Cell Biochem 70, 231-9.
- Lange, A. et al. (2007) J Biol Chem 282, 5101-5.
- Marfori, M. et al. (2011) Biochim Biophys Acta 1813, 1562-77.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.