Product Pathways - DNA Damage
Phospho-BRCA1 (Ser1524) Antibody #9009
Reactivity Key: H=Human
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-BRCA1 (Ser1524) Antibody detects endogenous levels of BRCA1 only when phosphorylated at Ser1524.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser1524 of human BRCA1. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
The breast cancer susceptibility proteins BRCA1 and BRCA2 are frequently mutated in cases of hereditary breast and ovarian cancers and have roles in multiple processes related to DNA damage, repair, cell cycle progression, transcription, ubiquitination, and apoptosis (1-4). BRCA2 has been shown to be required for localization of Rad51 to sites of double stranded breaks (DSBs) in DNA, and cells lacking BRCA1 and BRCA2 cannot repair DSBs through the Rad51-dependent process of homologous recombination (HR) (5). Numerous DNA damage-induced phosphorylation sites on BRCA1 have been identified, including Ser988, 1189, 1387, 1423, 1457, 1524 and 1542, and kinases activated in a cell cycle-dependent manner, including Aurora A and CDK2, can also phosphorylate BRCA1 at Ser308 and Ser1497, respectively (6-10). Cell cycle-dependent phosphorylation of BRCA2 at Ser3291 by CDKs has been proposed as a mechanism to switch off HR as cells progress beyond S-phase by blocking the carboxy terminal Rad51 binding site (11).
In Xenopus, in response to DNA damage, ATR-dependent and Claspin-mediated recruitment of BRCA1 leads to phosphorylation at Ser1524 (12).
- Rahman, N. and Stratton, M.R. (1998) Annu. Rev. Genet. 32, 95-121.
- Gayther, S. A. et al. (1999) Am. J. Hum. Genet. 65, 1021-1029.
- Kerr, P. and Ashworth, A. (2001) Curr. Biol. 11, R668-R676.
- Scully, R. and Livingston, D.M. (2000) Nature 408, 429-432.
- Tutt, A. and Ashworth, A. (2002) Trends Mol. Med. 8, 571-576.
- Okada, S. and Ouchi, T. (2003) J. Biol. Chem. 278, 2015-2020.
- Cortez, D. et al. (1999) Science 286, 1162-1166.
- Xu, B. et al. (2002) Cancer Res. 62, 4588-4591.
- Ouchi, M. et al. (2004) J. Biol. Chem. 279, 19643-19648.
- Ruffner, H. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 4843-4854.
- Esashi, F. et al. (2005) Nature 434, 598-604.
- Lin, S. Y. et al. (2004) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101, 6484-6489.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4526 Phospho-ATM (Ser1981) (10H11.E12) Mouse mAb
- 3425 Rad52 Antibody
- 9010 BRCA1 Antibody
- 9012 BRCA2 Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.