Product Pathways - CD Markers
DC-SIGN Antibody #9097
|W IP||H (Mk)||Endogenous||25-55||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
DC-SIGN Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total DC-SIGN protein. This antibody also detects DC-SIGNR.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Val134 of human DC-SIGN protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from MUTZ-3 cells, undifferentiated (-) or differentiated (+) into interstitial dendritic cells with Human Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (hGM-CSF) #8922 (100 ng/mL), Human Interleukin-4 (hIL-4) #8919 (100 ng/mL), and Human Tumor Necrosis Factor-α (hTNF-α) #8902 (2.5 ng/mL) for 8 d, using DC-SIGN Antibody (upper) or β-Actin (D6A8) Rabbit mAb #8457 (lower).
Western blot analysis of extracts from human monocyte-derived dendritic cells using DC-SIGN Antibody.
Western blot analysis of extracts from 293T cells, mock transfected (-), transfected with a construct expressing Myc/DDK-tagged full-length human DC-SIGN (hDC-SIGN-Myc/DDK; +), or transfected with a construct expressing full-length human DC-SIGNR (hDC-SIGNR; +), using DC-SIGN Antibody.
DC-SIGN (CD209/CLEC4L) is a C-type lectin receptor expressed by dendritic cells (DCs) (1,2). The DC-SIGN transcript can undergo several splicing events to generate at least thirteen different transmembrane and soluble isoforms (3). DC-SIGN responds to a broad range of pathogens due to its ability to recognize both mannose and fructose carbohydrates, and is well-studied for its role in HIV infection. Recognition of the HIV envelope glycoprotein gp120 by DC-SIGN leads to internalization of HIV by DCs and facilitates transmission of the virus to CD4+ T cells (2,4). DC-SIGN also mediates adhesion to T cells through interaction with ICAM-3, as well as transmigration across the endothelium by binding to ICAM-2 (1,5). DC-SIGN can also modulate TLR signaling by activating the kinase Raf-1 (6,7). DC-SIGNR (L-SIGN/CLEC4M) is a closely related molecule that is 77% homologous to DC-SIGN and likely arose through a gene duplication event (8). Like DC-SIGN, DC-SIGNR binds mannose carbohydrates on the surface of pathogens (8,9). However, the expression patterns of the two receptors differ, as DC-SIGNR expression is restricted to endothelial cells of the liver, lymph node, and placenta (10). In mice, there is a set of related molecules, SIGNR1-SIGNR8 (11). Based on sequence analysis, there is no clear ortholog to human DC-SIGN, however SIGNR3 is the most functionally similar due to its ability to recognize both mannose and fructose structures (11).
- Geijtenbeek, T.B. et al. (2000) Cell 100, 575-85.
- Geijtenbeek, T.B. et al. (2000) Cell 100, 587-97.
- Mummidi, S. et al. (2001) J Biol Chem 276, 33196-212.
- Kwon, D.S. et al. (2002) Immunity 16, 135-44.
- Geijtenbeek, T.B. et al. (2000) Nat Immunol 1, 353-7.
- Gringhuis, S.I. et al. (2007) Immunity 26, 605-16.
- Gringhuis, S.I. et al. (2010) Nat Immunol 11, 419-26.
- Bashirova, A.A. et al. (2001) J Exp Med 193, 671-8.
- Mitchell, D.A. et al. (2001) J Biol Chem 276, 28939-45.
- Pöhlmann, S. et al. (2001) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98, 2670-5.
- Powlesland, A.S. et al. (2006) J Biol Chem 281, 20440-9.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.