Product Pathways - MAPK Signaling
Phospho-MEK1/2 (Ser217/221) Antibody #9121
|W IP||H M R Mk Sc (C)||Endogenous||45||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey C=Chicken Sc=S. cerevisiae
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-MEK1/2 (Ser217/221) Antibody detects endogenous levels of MEK1/2 only when activated by phosphorylation at Ser217/221. This antibody does not cross-react with related kinases including activated SEK (MKK4), MKK3 or MKK6. It will also react with MEK1/2 singly phosphorylated at Ser217 and singly phosphorylated at Ser221.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues around Ser217/221 of human MEK1/2. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
MEK1 and MEK2, also called MAPK or Erk kinases, are dual-specificity protein kinases that function in a mitogen activated protein kinase cascade controlling cell growth and differentiation (1-3). Activation of MEK1 and MEK2 occurs through phosphorylation of two serine residues at positions 217 and 221, located in the activation loop of subdomain VIII, by Raf-like molecules. MEK1/2 is activated by a wide variety of growth factors and cytokines and also by membrane depolarization and calcium influx (1-4). Constitutively active forms of MEK1/2 are sufficient for the transformation of NIH/3T3 cells or the differentiation of PC-12 cells (4). MEK activates p44 and p42 MAP kinase by phosphorylating both threonine and tyrosine residues at sites located within the activation loop of kinase subdomain VIII.
CST's Phospho- MEK1/2 (Ser217/221) Antibody selectively recognizes active MEK, i.e., only when phosphorylated at Ser217/221, and hence is an excellent marker of MEK1/2 activity.
- Crews, C.M. et al. (1992) Science 258, 478-480.
- Alessi, D.R. et al. (1994) EMBO J. 13, 1610-1619.
- Rosen, L.B. et al. (1994) Neuron 12, 1207-1221.
- Cowley, S. et al. (1994) Cell 77, 841-852.
- Piatelli, M.J. et al. (2004) Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent mitogen-activated protein/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase 1/2 and NF-kappa B signaling pathways are required for B cell antigen receptor-mediated cyclin D2 induction in mature B cells. J. Immunol. 172, 2753-2762. Applications: Western Blotting
- Umenishi, F. and Schrier, R.W. (2003) Hypertonicity-induced aquaporin-1 (AQP1) expression is mediated by the activation of MAPK pathways and hypertonicity-responsive element in the AQP1 gene. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 15765-15770. Applications: Western Blotting
- Rosenberger, C.M. et al. (2002) Macrophages Inhibit Salmonella Typhimurium Replication through MEK/ERK Kinase and Phagocyte NADPH Oxidase Activities. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 277, 18753-18762. Applications: Western Blotting
- MacNicol, M.C. et al. (2000) Disruption of the 14-3-3 binding site within the B-Raf kinase domain uncouples catalytic activity from PC12 cell differentiation. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 3803-3809. Applications: Western Blotting
- Pizon, V. et al. (2000) Rap1A protein interferes with various MAP kinase activating pathways in skeletal myogenic cells. Oncogene 19, 6074-6081. Applications: Western Blotting
- Wang, X. et al. (2000) Requirement for ERK Activation in Cisplatin-induced Apoptosis. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 39435-39443. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9903 U0126
- 9160 MEK1/2 HeLa Control Cell Extracts
- 9120 PhosphoPlus® MEK1/2 (Ser217/221) Antibody Kit
- 9154 Phospho-MEK1/2 (Ser217/221) (41G9) Rabbit mAb
- 2338 Phospho-MEK1/2 (Ser221) (166F8) Rabbit mAb
- 9126 MEK1/2 (47E6) Rabbit mAb
- 4694 MEK1/2 (L38C12) Mouse mAb
- 2352 MEK1 (61B12) Mouse mAb
- 9146 MEK1 (30C8) Rabbit mAb
- 9147 MEK2 (13E3) Rabbit mAb
- 9122 MEK1/2 Antibody
- 9124 MEK1 Antibody
- 9125 MEK2 Antibody
- 9127 Phospho-MEK1 (Thr286) Antibody
- 9128 Phospho-MEK1 (Ser298) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.