Product Pathways - PI3K / Akt Signaling
GSK-3α Antibody #9338
|W||H M R Mk||Endogenous||51||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
GSK-3alpha Antibody detects endogenous levels of total GSK-3alpha protein. It does not cross-react with recombinant GSK-3beta.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the sequence of human GSK-3alpha. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, transfected with 100 nM SignalSilence® Control siRNA (Fluorescein Conjugate) #6201 (-), SignalSilence® GSK-3α siRNA II (+) or SignalSilence® GSK-3α siRNA I #6312 (+), using GSK-3α Antibody #9338 and β-Actin (13E5) Rabbit mAb #4970. GSK-3α Antibody confirms silencing of GSK-3α expression and β-Actin (13E5) Rabbit mAb is used to control for loading and specificity of GSK-3α siRNA.
Glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) was initially identified as an enzyme that regulates glycogen synthesis in response to insulin (1). GSK-3 is a ubiquitously expressed serine/threonine protein kinase that phosphorylates and inactivates glycogen synthase. GSK-3 is a critical downstream element of the PI3K/Akt cell survival pathway whose activity can be inhibited by Akt-mediated phosphorylation at Ser21 of GSK-3α and Ser9 of GSK-3β (2,3). GSK-3 has been implicated in the regulation of cell fate in Dictyostelium and is a component of the Wnt signaling pathway required for Drosophila, Xenopus, and mammalian development (4). GSK-3 has been shown to regulate cyclin D1 proteolysis and subcellular localization (5).
GSK-3alpha regulates the production of amyloid-beta peptides, a major component of the plaques that accumulate with progression of Alzheimer's disease. Administration of therapeutic concentrations of lithium, a GSK-3 inhibitor, attenuates amyloid-beta production by specifically inhibiting the cleavage of amyloid precursor protein (APP) by gamma secretase, blocking accumulation of amyloid-beta peptides in the brains of mice that overproduce APP (6).
- Welsh, G.I. et al. (1996) Trends Cell. Biol. 6, 274-279.
- Srivastava, A.K. and Pandey, S.K. (1998) Mol. Cell. Biochem. 182, 135-141.
- Cross, D.A. et al. (1995) Nature 378, 785-789.
- Nusse, R. (1997) Cell 89, 321-323.
- Diehl, J.A. et al. (1998) Genes Dev. 12, 3499-3511.
- Phiel, C.J. et al. (2003) Nature 423, 435-9.
- Wu, M. et al. (2009) PLoS One 4, e6430. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9315 GSK-3β (27C10) Rabbit mAb
- 9316 Phospho-GSK-3α (Ser21) (36E9) Rabbit mAb
- 9327 Phospho-GSK-3α/β (Ser21/9) (37F11) Rabbit mAb (GSK-3α Preferred)
- 9337 Phospho-GSK-3α (Ser21) (46H12) Mouse mAb
- 6312 SignalSilence® GSK-3α siRNA I
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.