Product Pathways - PI3K / Akt Signaling
Phospho-FoxO3a (Ser253) Antibody #9466
|W IP||H M R (C)||Endogenous||97||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat C=Chicken
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Fox03a (Ser253) Antibody detects endogenous levels of Fox03a only when phosphorylated at serine 253.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to the sequence of human Fox03a. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
The Forkhead family of transcription factors is involved in tumorigenesis of rhabdomyosarcoma and acute leukemias (1-3). Within the family, three members (FoxO1, FoxO4, and FoxO3a) have sequence similarity to the nematode orthologue DAF-16, which mediates signaling via a pathway involving IGFR1, PI3K, and Akt (4-6). Active forkhead members act as tumor suppressors by promoting cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Increased expression of any FoxO member results in the activation of the cell cycle inhibitor p27 Kip1. Forkhead transcription factors also play a part in TGF-β-mediated upregulation of p21 Cip1, a process negatively regulated through PI3K (7). Increased proliferation results when forkhead transcription factors are inactivated through phosphorylation by Akt at Thr24, Ser256, and Ser319, which results in nuclear export and inhibition of transcription factor activity (8). Forkhead transcription factors can also be inhibited by the deacetylase sirtuin (SirT1) (9).
In Fox03a, the three sites phosphorylated by Akt mentioned above are Thr32, Ser253 and Ser315. Fox03a associates with 14-3-3 proteins upon phosphorylation by Akt and is retained in the cytoplasm. In the absence of survival factors, Fox03a is dephosphorylated, translocates to the nucleus and triggers cell death by a Fas ligand-dependent mechanism (7).
- Anderson, M.J. et al. (1998) Genomics 47, 187-199.
- Galili, N. et al. (1993) Nat. Genet. 5, 230-235.
- Borkhardt, A. et al. (1997) Oncogene 14, 195-202.
- Nakae, J. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 15982-15985.
- Rena, G. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 17179-17183.
- Guo, S. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 17184-17192.
- Seoane, J. et al. (2004) Cell 117, 211-223.
- Arden, K.C. (2004) Mol. Cell 14, 416-418.
- Yang, Y. et al. (2005) EMBO J. 24, 1021-1032.
- Furuya, F. et al. (2007) Carcinogenesis 28, 2451-8. Applications: Western Blotting
- Ochi, E. et al. (2010) J Appl Physiol 108, 306-13. Applications: Western Blotting
- Chung, Y.W. et al. (2011) J Biol Chem 286, 29681-90. Applications: Western Blotting
- Sykes, S.M. et al. (2011) Cell 146, 697-708. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9271 Phospho-Akt (Ser473) Antibody
- 9272 Akt Antibody
- 9275 Phospho-Akt (Thr308) Antibody
- 9461 Phospho-FoxO1 (Ser256) Antibody
- 9464 Phospho-FoxO1 (Thr24)/FoxO3a (Thr32) Antibody
- 9465 Phospho-FoxO3a (Ser318/321) Antibody
- 9471 Phospho-FoxO4 (Ser193) Antibody
- 9472 FoxO4 Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.