Product Pathways - TGF-beta/Smad Signaling
Smad5 Antibody #9517
|9517S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9517P||40 µl (4 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9517||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||60||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting
Specificity / Sensitivity
Smad5 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Smad5 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the residues surrounding Ile251 of human Smad5. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) constitute a large family of signaling molecules that regulate a wide range of critical processes including morphogenesis, cell-fate determination, proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis (1,2). BMP receptors are members of the TGF-β family of Ser/Thr kinase receptors. Ligand binding induces multimerization, autophosphorylation, and activation of these receptors (3-5). They subsequently phosphorylate Smad1 at Ser463 and Ser465 in the carboxy-terminal motif SSXS, as well as Smad5 and Smad8 at their corresponding sites. These phosphorylated Smads dimerize with the coactivating Smad4 and translocate to the nucleus, where they stimulate transcription of target genes (5).
MAP kinases and CDKs 8 and 9 phosphorylate residues in the linker region of Smad1, including Ser206. The phosphorylation of Ser206 recruits Smurf1 to the linker region and leads to the degradation of Smad1 (6). Phosphorylation of this site also promotes Smad1 transcriptional action by recruiting YAP to the linker region (7).
- Hogan, B.L. et al. (1996) Genes Dev. 10, 1580-1594.
- Hoodless, P.A. et al. (1996) Cell 85, 489-500.
- Klemm, J.D. et al. (1998) Annu. Rev. Immunol. 16, 569-592.
- Kretzschmar, M. et al. (1997) Genes Dev. 11, 984-995.
- Whitman, M. (1998) Genes Dev. 12, 2445-2462.
- Sapkota, G. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 25, 441-54.
- Alarcón, C. et al. (2009) Cell 139, 757-69.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9511 Phospho-Smad1 (Ser463/465)/ Smad5 (Ser463/465)/ Smad8 (Ser426/428) Antibody
- 9516 Phospho-Smad1/5 (Ser463/465) (41D10) Rabbit mAb
- 9743 Smad1 Antibody
- 9515 Smad4 Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.