Product Pathways - TGF-beta/Smad Signaling
Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb #9523
|W IP IF-IC F ChIP||H M R Mk (X) (Z) (B)||Endogenous||52||Rabbit IgG|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey X=Xenopus Z=Zebrafish B=Bovine
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total Smad3 protein. No cross reactivity was detected with other family members.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues at the amino terminus of Smad3.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HT1080 (human), C2C12 (mouse) and B35 (rat) using Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HT1080 cells, treated with TGF-β1, TGFR inhibitor SB-431542 or BMP-2, using Phospho-Smad3 (Ser423/425) (C25A9) Rabbit mAb #9520 (upper) or total Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb #9523 (lower).
Flow cytometric analysis of HT-1080 cells using Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb #9523 (blue) compared to a nonspecific negative control antibody (red).
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of HT1080 cells, untreated (left) or TGFβ-treated (right), using Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb (green). Actin filaments have been labeled with Alexa Fluor® 555 phalloidin (red).
Chromatin immunoprecipitations were performed with cross-linked chromatin from 4 x 106 HaCaT cells treated with Human TGF-β3 #3706 (7 ng/ml) for 1 h and either 10 μl of Smad3 (C67H9) Rabbit mAb or 2 μl of Normal Rabbit IgG #2729 using SimpleChIP® Enzymatic Chromatin IP Kit (Magnetic Beads) #9003. The enriched DNA was quantified by real-time PCR using SimpleChIP® Human CDKN1A Intron 1 Primers #4669, SimpleChIP® Human ID1 Promoter Primers #5139, and SimpleChIP® Human α Satellite Repeat Primers #4486. The amount of immunoprecipitated DNA in each sample is represented as signal relative to the total amount of input chromatin, which is equivalent to one.
Members of the Smad family of signal transduction molecules are components of a critical intracellular pathway that transmit TGF-β signals from the cell surface into the nucleus. Three distinct classes of Smads have been defined: the receptor-regulated Smads (R-Smads), which include Smad1, 2, 3, 5, and 8; the common-mediator Smad (co-Smad), Smad4; and the antagonistic or inhibitory Smads (I-Smads), Smad6 and 7 (1-5). Activated type I receptors associate with specific R-Smads and phosphorylate them on a conserved carboxy terminal SSXS motif. The phosphorylated R-Smad dissociates from the receptor and forms a heteromeric complex with the co-Smad (Smad4), allowing translocation of the complex to the nucleus. Once in the nucleus, Smads can target a variety of DNA binding proteins to regulate transcriptional responses (6-8).
Following stimulation by TGF-β, Smad2 and Smad3 become phosphorylated at their carboxyl termini (Ser465 and 467 on Smad2; Ser423 and 425 on Smad3) by TGF-β Receptor I. Phosphorylated Smad 2/3 can complex with Smad4, translocate to the nucleus and regulate gene expression (9-11).
- Heldin, C.H. et al. (1997) Nature 390, 465-471.
- Attisano, L. and Wrana, J.L. (1998) Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 10, 188-194.
- Derynck, R. et al. (1998) Cell 95, 737-740.
- Massague, J. (1998) Annu. Rev. Biochem. 67, 753-791.
- Whitman, M. (1998) Genes Dev. 12, 2445-2462.
- Wu, G. et al. (2000) Science 287, 92-97.
- Attisano, L. and Wrana, J.L. (2002) Science 296, 1646-1647.
- Moustakas, A. et al. (2001) J. Cell Sci. 114, 4359-4369.
- Abdollah, S. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 27678-27685.
- Souchelnytskyi, S. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 28107-28115.
- Liu, X. et al. (1997) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94, 10669-10674.
- Li, Q. et al. (2008) Mol Cell Biol 28, 7001-11. Applications: Western Blotting
- Louafi, F. et al. (2010) J Biol Chem 285, 41328-36. Applications: Western Blotting
- Johno, H. et al. (2012) Am J Pathol 181, 1977-90. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9520 Phospho-Smad3 (Ser423/425) (C25A9) Rabbit mAb
- 3101 Phospho-Smad2 (Ser465/467) Antibody
- 3108 Phospho-Smad2 (Ser465/467) (138D4) Rabbit mAb
- 3122 Smad2 (86F7) Rabbit mAb
- 3102 Smad2/3 Antibody
- 3103 Smad2 (L16D3) Mouse mAb
- 3709 TGF-β (56E4) Rabbit mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.