Product Pathways - Neuroscience
Phospho-Tau (Ser396) (PHF13) Mouse mAb #9632
|W||M R (H)||Endogenous||50-80||Mouse IgG2b|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Tau (Ser396) (PHF13) Mouse mAb detects endogenous levels of Tau only when phosphorylated at serine 396.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with human purified Tau (Hoffmann et al., 1997).
Tau is a heterogeneous microtubule-associated protein that promotes and stabilizes microtubule assembly, especially in axons. Six isoforms with different amino-terminal inserts and different numbers of tandem repeats near the carboxy terminus have been identified, and tau is hyperphosphorylated at approximately 25 sites by Erk, GSK-3, and CDK5 (1,2). Phosphorylation decreases the ability of tau to bind to microtubules. Neurofibrillary tangles are a major hallmark of Alzheimer's disease; these tangles are bundles of paired helical filaments composed of hyperphosphorylated tau. In particular, phosphorylation at Ser396 by GSK-3 or CDK5 destabilizes microtubules. Furthermore, research studies have shown that inclusions of tau are found in a number of other neurodegenerative diseases, collectively known as tauopathies (1,3).
- Johnson , G.V. and Stoothoff , W.H. (2004) J. Cell Sci. 117, 5721-5729.
- Hanger, D. P. et al. (1998) J. Neurochem. 71, 2465-2476.
- Bramblett, G. T. et al. (1993) Neuron 10, 1089-1099.
- Hoffmann, R. et al. (1997) Biochemistry 36, 8114-8124. Applications: Western Blotting
- Hong, M. and Lee, V.M. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 19547-19553. Applications: Western Blotting
- Hong, M. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 25326-25332. Applications: Western Blotting
- Ahlijanian, M.K. et al. (2000) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97, 2910-2915. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4019 Tau (Tau46) Mouse mAb
- 9336 Phospho-GSK-3β (Ser9) Antibody
- 9337 Phospho-GSK-3α (Ser21) (46H12) Mouse mAb
- 9327 Phospho-GSK-3α/β (Ser21/9) (37F11) Rabbit mAb (GSK-3α Preferred)
- 9338 GSK-3α Antibody
- 4542 MAP2 Antibody
- 9910 Phospho-MAPK Family Antibody Sampler Kit
- 7072 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7076 Anti-mouse IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.