Product Pathways - Translational Control
eIF2α Antibody #9722
|W||H M R Mk||Endogenous||38||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
eIF2α Antibody detects endogenous levels of total eIF2α protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy-terminal sequence of eIF2α. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Phosphorylation of the eukaryotic initiation factor 2 (eIF2) α subunit is a well-documented mechanism to downregulate protein synthesis under a variety of stress conditions. eIF2 binds GTP and Met-tRNAi and transfers Met-tRNA to the 40S subunit to form the 43S preinitiation complex (1,2). eIF2 promotes a new round of translation initiation by exchanging GDP for GTP, a reaction catalyzed by eIF2B (1,2). Kinases that are activated by viral infection (PKR), endoplasmic reticulum stress (PERK/PEK), amino acid deprivation (GCN2), or heme deficiency (HRI) can phosphorylate the α subunit of eIF2 (3,4). This phosphorylation stabilizes the eIF2-GDP-eIF2B complex and inhibits the turnover of eIF2B. Induction of PKR by IFN-γ and TNF-α induces potent phosphorylation of eIF2α at Ser51 (5,6).
- Kimball, S.R. (1999) Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 31, 25-29.
- De Haro, C. et al. (1996) FASEB J. 10, 1378-1387.
- Kaufman, R.J. (1999) Genes Dev. 13, 1211-1233.
- Sheikh, M.S. and Fornace Jr., A.J. (1999) Oncogene 18, 6121-6128.
- Cheshire, J.L. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 4801-4806.
- Zamanian-Daryoush, M. et al. (2000) Mol. Cell. Biol. 20, 1278-1290.
- Nanbo, A. et al. (2002) Epstein-Barr virus RNA confers resistance to interferon-alpha-induced apoptosis in Burkitt's lymphoma. EMBO J. 21, 954-965. Applications: Western Blotting
- Koumenis, C. et al. (2002) Regulation of protein synthesis by hypoxia via activation of the endoplasmic reticulum kinase PERK and phosphorylation of the translation initiation factor eIF2alpha. Mol. Cell. Biol. 22, 7405-7416. Applications: Western Blotting
- Chang, R. C. et al. (2002) Involvement of double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase and phosphorylation of eukaryotic initiation factor-2alpha in neuronal degeneration. J. Neurochem. 83, 1215-1225. Applications: Western Blotting
- Wu, M. et al. (2010) Rejuvenation Res 13, 571-9. Applications: Western Blotting
- Chiang, C.K. et al. (2012) Am J Physiol Cell Physiol , . Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2103 eIF2α (L57A5) Mouse mAb
- 3597 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) (119A11) Rabbit mAb
- 9721 Phospho-eIF2α (Ser51) Antibody
- 9918 Translational Control Antibody Sampler Kit
- 3302 GCN2 Antibody
- 3595 eIF2B-ε Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.