Product Pathways - MAPK Signaling
MEF2A Antibody #9736
|W||H M (R)||Endogenous||54||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
MEF2A Antibody detects endogenous levels of total MEF2A protein. The antibody does not cross-react with related family members.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues of human MEF2A. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
MEF2A is a member of the MEF2 (myocyte enhancer factor 2) family of transcription factors. In mammals, four MEF2A-related genes (MEF2A, MEF2B, MEF2C and MEF2D) encode proteins which exhibit significant amino acid sequence similarity within their DNA binding domains and to a lesser extent throughout the remaining proteins (1). The MEF2 family members were originally described as muscle-specific DNA binding proteins that recognize MEF2 motifs found within the promoters of many muscle-specific genes (2,3). Phosphorylation of MEF2A at Thr312 and Thr319 within the transcription activation domain by p38 MAP kinase enhances MEF2A-MEF2D heterodimer-dependent gene expression (4). On the other hand, apoptotic stimuli (e.g. neurotoxic insult) result in CDK5-dependent phosphorylation of MEF2A at Ser408 within the activation domain, inhibiting MEF2A pro-survival function (5).
- Shore, P. et al. (1995) Eur. J. Biochem. 229, 1-13.
- Martin, J.F. et al. (1994) Mol. Cell. Biol. 14, 1647-1656.
- Yu, Y.T. et al. (1992) Genes Dev. 6, 1783-1798.
- Zhao, M. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 21-30.
- Gong, X. et al. (2003) Neuron 38, 33-46.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9737 Phospho-MEF2A (Ser408) Antibody
- 2506 CDK5 Antibody
- 9913 Phospho-p38 MAPK Pathway Sampler Kit
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.