Product Pathways - Translational Control
eIF4E Antibody #9742
|W IHC-P IHC-F||H M R Mk Z||Endogenous||25||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Mk=Monkey Z=Zebrafish
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
eIF4E Antibody detects endogenous levels of total eIF4E protein. The antibody does not cross-react with other proteins.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser209 of eIF4E. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from control and serum treated NIH/3T3, 293 or PC12 cells, using eIF4E Antibody.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human lung carcinoma, showing cytoplasmic localization, using eIF4E Antibody.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human colon, using eIF4E Antibody in the presence of control peptide (left) or antigen-specific peptide (right).
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human renal cell carcinoma, using eIF4E Antibody.
Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) binds to the mRNA cap structure to mediate the initiation of translation (1,2). eIF4E interacts with eIF4G, a scaffold protein that promotes assembly of eIF4E and eIF4A into the eIF4F complex (2). eIF4B is thought to assist the eIF4F complex in translation initiation. Upon activation by mitogenic and/or stress stimuli mediated by Erk and p38 MAPK, Mnk1 phosphorylates eIF4E at Ser209 in vivo (3,4). Two Erk and p38 MAPK phosphorylation sites in mouse Mnk1 (Thr197 and Thr202) are essential for Mnk1 kinase activity (3). The carboxy-terminal region of eIF4G also contains serum-stimulated phosphorylation sites, including Ser1108, Ser1148, and Ser1192 (5). Phosphorylation at these sites is blocked by the PI3 kinase inhibitor LY294002 and by the FRAP/mTOR inhibitor rapamycin.
- Sonenberg, N. et al. (1978) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 75, 4843-4847.
- Gingras, A.C. et al. (1999) Annu. Rev. Biochem. 68, 913-963.
- Waskiewicz, A. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 1871-1880.
- Pyronnet, S. et al. (1999) EMBO J. 18, 270-279.
- Raught, B. et al. (2000) EMBO J. 19, 434-444.
- Krichevsky, A.M. and Kosik, K.S. (2001) Neuron 32, 683-96. Applications: Western Blotting
- Banerjee, S. et al. (2002) J Virol 76, 5937-48. Applications: Western Blotting
- Ma, D. et al. (2009) J Cell Physiol 219, 31-44. Applications: Western Blotting
- RamachandraRao, S.P. et al. (2009) J Am Soc Nephrol 20, 1765-75. Applications: Western Blotting
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2067 eIF4E (C46H6) Rabbit mAb
- 9741 Phospho-eIF4E (Ser209) Antibody
- 9918 Translational Control Antibody Sampler Kit
- 4763 Translation Initiation Complex Antibody Sampler Kit
- 2855 Phospho-4E-BP1 (Thr37/46) (236B4) Rabbit mAb
- 9644 4E-BP1 (53H11) Rabbit mAb
- 9451 Phospho-4E-BP1 (Ser65) Antibody
- 9455 Phospho-4E-BP1 (Thr70) Antibody
- 4923 Non-phospho-4E-BP1 (Thr46) (87D12) Rabbit mAb
- 2498 eIF4G Antibody
- 2441 Phospho-eIF4G (Ser1108) Antibody
- 2111 Phospho-Mnk1 (Thr197/202) Antibody
- 4992 PABP1 Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.