Product Pathways - Cell Cycle / Checkpoint
Senescence β-Galactosidase Staining Kit #9860
|10X Fixative Solution||15 ml|
|10X Staining Solution||15 ml|
|100X Solution A||1.5 ml|
|100X Solution B||1.5 ml|
The Senescence β-Galactosidase Staining Kit is designed to detect β-galactosidase activity at pH 6, a known characteristic of senescent cells not found in presenescent, quiescent or immortal cells (3). The kit includes all reagents necessary for this assay.
Specificity / Sensitivity
The kit detects β-galactosidase activity at pH 6 in cultured cells. β-galactosidase activity at pH 6 is present only in senescent cells and is not found in presenescent, quiescent or immortal cells.
Limited capacity to replicate is a defining characteristic of most normal cells and culminates in senescence, an arrested state in which the cell remains viable (1). Senescent cells are not stimulated to divide by serum or passage in culture, and senescence invokes a specific cell cycle profile that differs from most damage-induced arrest processes or contact inhibition (2). An enlarged cell size, expression of pH-dependent beta-galactosidase activity (3), and an altered pattern of gene expression (4,5) further characterize senescent cells.
- Goldstein, S. (1990) Science 249, 1129-1133.
- Sherwood, S. W. et al. (1988) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. , USA 85, 9086-9090.
- Dimri, G. et al. (1995) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 92, 9363-9367.
- Cristofalo, V. J. et al. (1998) Crit. Rev. Eukaryot Gene Expr. 8, 43-80.
- Linskens, M. H. et al. (1995) Nucleic Acid Res. 23, 3244-3251.
- Baker, D. J. et al. (2004) BubR1 insufficiency causes early onset of aging-associated phenotypes and infertility in mice. Nat. Genetics 36, 744-749. Applications: IHC-FL (floating/frozen)
- Su, D. et al. (2009) J Biol Chem 284, 12153-64. Applications: IC-ABC
- Swarbrick, A. et al. (2008) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105, 5402-7. Applications: IHC-FL (floating/frozen)
- Efeyan, A. et al. (2007) Cancer Res 67, 7350-7. Applications: IC-ABC
- Boucher, M.J. et al. (2004) Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 286, G736-46. Applications: IC-ABC
- Efeyan, A. et al. (2009) PLoS One 4, e5475. Applications: IHC-FL (floating/frozen)
- Chang, C.J. et al. (2011) Nat Cell Biol 13, 317-23. Applications: IC-ABC
- Delmore, J.E. et al. (2011) Cell 146, 904-17. Applications: IC-ABC
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.