Product Pathways - Lymphocyte Signaling
β2-microglobulin Antibody #9899
Reactivity Key: H=Human Mk=Monkey
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
β2-microglobulin Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of total β2-microglobulin (B2M) protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Pro52 of human β2-microglobulin (B2M) protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, transfected with 100 nM SignalSilence® Control siRNA (Unconjugated) #6568 (-), SignalSilence® β2-microglobulin siRNA I #7759 (+), or SignalSilence® β2-microglobulin siRNA II #7774 (+), using β2-microglobulin Antibody (upper) or β-Tubulin (9F3) Rabbit mAb #2128 (lower). The β2-microglobulin Antibody confirms silencing of β2-microglobulin expression, while the β-Tubulin (9F3) Rabbit mAb is used as a loading control.
β2-microglobulin (B2M) is a principal component of the Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) class I molecule, a ternary membrane protein complex that displays fragments derived from proteolyzed cytosolic proteins on the surface of cells for recognition by the surveillance immune system (1,2). As an integral component of the MHC class I complex, β2-microglobulin plays a critically important role in immune system function (3). It has important relevance to cancer biology research; for example, research studies have shown that nearly one-third of diffuse large B cell lymphomas contain mutations that inactivate β2-microglobulin gene function, thereby allowing tumor cells to escape immune detection (4). In additon, β2-microglobulin has been identified as an amyloid preprotein with collagen-binding affinity (5); its accumulation in osteoarthritic lesions of long-term dialysis patients is reportedly a contributing factor to the condition known as amyloid osteoarthropathy (6).
- Krangel, M.S. et al. (1979) Cell 18, 979-91.
- Collins, E.J. et al. (1995) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92, 1218-21.
- Marx, J.I. (1974) Science 185, 428-9.
- Challa-Malladi, M. et al. (2011) Cancer Cell 20, 728-40.
- Gorevic, P.D. et al. (1985) J Clin Invest 76, 2425-9.
- Ohashi, K. (2001) Pathol Int 51, 1-10.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 7759 SignalSilence® β2-microglobulin siRNA I
- 7774 SignalSilence® β2-microglobulin siRNA II
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.