Product Pathways - Translational Control
|9904S||10 nmol||---||In Stock||---|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
- Molecular Formula:
- Molecular Weight:
- 914.2 g/mol
Directions For Use
Rapamycin is supplied as a lyophilized powder. For a 100 µM stock, resuspend 10 nmol (9.1 µg) in 100 µl ethanol or DMSO. For experiments with cultured cells, CST recommends pretreating with 10 nM of this inhibitor for one hour prior to stimulation.
Western blot analysis of extracts from NIH/3T3 cells, untreated or treated with serum in the presence of the indicated concentrations of Rapamycin, using Phospho-p70 S6 Kinase (Thr389) Antibody #9205 (upper), total p70 S6 kinase antibody #9202 (middle) or Phospho-p44/42 MAPK (Thr202/Tyr204) Antibody #9101 (lower).
Rapamycin is a bacterial macrolide with antifungal and immunosuppressant activities (1). Rapamycin forms a complex with the immunophilin FKBP12 which then inhibits the activity of FRAP/ mTOR (TOR in yeast) (2,3). Rapamycin treatment of cells leads to the dephosphorylation and inactivation of p70 S6 kinase. Rapamycin also leads to the dephosphorylation of 4E-BP1/PHAS1, thereby promoting its binding to and inactivation of eIF4E (4,5). This activity has been shown to be the basis for Rapamycin's ability to block protein synthesis and to arrest cell cycle progression in the G1-phase (6,7). However, it has been suggested that Rapamycin's inhibition of the G1/S transition may be the consequence of its effect on cyclin D1 mRNA and protein stability (8).
- Dumont, F. J. et al. (1990) J. Immunol. 144, 251-258.
- Brown, E. J. et al. (1994) Nature 369, 756-758.
- Kunz, J. et al. (1993) Cell 73, 585-596.
- Jefferies, H. B. et al. (1997) EMBO J. 15, 3693-3704.
- Beretta, L. et al. (1996) EMBO J. 15, 658-664.
- Thomas, G. and Hall, M.N. (1997) Curr. Opin. Cell. Biol. 9, 782-787.
- Dennis, P. B. et al. (1999) Curr. Opin. Genet. & Develop. 9, 49-54.
- Hashemolhosseini, S. et al. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273, 14424-14429.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9918 Translational Control Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9205 Phospho-p70 S6 Kinase (Thr389) Antibody
- 9451 Phospho-4E-BP1 (Ser65) Antibody
- 9455 Phospho-4E-BP1 (Thr70) Antibody
- 9459 Phospho-4E-BP1 (Thr37/46) Antibody
- 2217 S6 Ribosomal Protein (5G10) Rabbit mAb
- 2317 S6 Ribosomal Protein (54D2) Mouse mAb
- 4858 Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser235/236) (D57.2.2E) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 9206 Phospho-p70 S6 Kinase (Thr389) (1A5) Mouse mAb
- 9234 Phospho-p70 S6 Kinase (Thr389) (108D2) Rabbit mAb
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.