Product Pathways - Metabolism
- Molecular Formula:
- Molecular Weight:
- 258.24 g/mol
Directions for Use
This product is for in vitro research use only and is not intended for use in humans or animals. This product is not intended for use as therapeutic or in diagnostic procedures. AICAR is supplied at 250 mM in water. Thaw completely before use. For a 0.5 mM working concentration, dilute 1:500. For a 2 mM working concentration, dilute 1:125. Treat cells with desired concentration for 5-60 minutes.
AICAR is supplied at 250 mM concentration. For a 0.5 mM working concentration, dilute 1:500. For a 2 mM working concentration, dilute 1:125. Treat cells with desired concentration for 5-60 minutes. Please note: Appearance of AICAR solution should be a clear to yellow/brown solution without precipitation. If precipitation is observed, warm tightly capped vial at 37C until AICAR goes into solution. Agitation of warmed solution by vortex may be necessary.
AICAR (5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxyamide ribonucleoside) is an adenosine analog taken up by muscle and phosphorylated to form 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1--D-ribofuranosyl-5'-monophosphate (ZMP), which stimulates AMPK activity and glucose transport in skeletal muscle (1). AICAR has been used in studies measuring glucose uptake, diabetes and insulin resistance, and energy regulation during exercise. AICAR acts by entering nucleoside pools and significantly increasing levels of adenosine during periods of ATP breakdown (2).
- Sakoda, H. et al. (2002) Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 282, E1239-E1244.
- Mullane, K. et al. (1993) Trends Cardiovasc. Med. 3, 227-234.
- Jakobsen, S. N. et al. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 46912-46916.
- Jessen, N. et al. (2003) J. Appl. Physiol. 94, 1373-1379.
- Giri, S. et al. (2004) J. Neurosci. 24, 479-487.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 4188 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) (D79.5E) Rabbit mAb
- 2535 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) (40H9) Rabbit mAb
- 3661 Phospho-Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase (Ser79) Antibody
- 2603 AMPKα (23A3) Rabbit mAb
- 2531 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) Antibody
- 3662 Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase Antibody
- 2532 AMPKα Antibody
- 4184 Phospho-AMPKα1 (Ser485) Antibody
- 4185 Phospho-AMPKα1 (Ser485)/AMPKα2 (Ser491) Antibody
- 4181 Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser108) Antibody
- 4186 Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser182) Antibody
- 4187 AMPKγ1 Antibody
- 2536 AMPKγ2 Antibody
- 9803 Cell Lysis Buffer (10X)
- 7722 Blue Loading Buffer Pack
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.