Translational Control: Regulation of eIF4E and p70 S6K
Search this pathway for protein information from PhosphoSitePlus®, our expert-curated knowledge base of protein phosphorylation and other post-translational modifications.
Translational Control: Regulation of eIF4E and p70 S6 Kinase
eIF4E and S6 kinase (S6K) play critical roles in translational regulation. eIF4E binds the 5’ cap-structure of cytoplasmic mRNA and nucleates the eIF4F pre-initiation complex, which also includes eIF4A, a helicase that unwinds complex secondary structure in the mRNA leader sequence, and eIF4G, a large scaffolding protein that coordinates delivery of the mRNA to eIF3 and circularizes the mRNA through an association with poly(A) binding protein (PABP). Several stimuli, including growth factors, cytokines, and nutrient availability, regulate both eIF4F and S6K through mTORC1 (mTOR Complex 1: mTOR, GβL, Raptor, and Deptor). mTORC1 directly phosphorylates the translational inhibitory eIF4E-binding proteins (4E-BPs), which, when hypo-phosphorylated, prevent the interaction between eIF4E and eIF4G. mTORC1 also directly phosphorylates S6K, which has many targets in the translational machinery: S6 small ribosomal subunit; eIF4B, an activator of the eIF4A helicase; PDCD4, an inhibitor of eIF4A that is inhibited by phosphorylation; and SKAR, an mRNA splicing factor. Activation of S6K can also lead to suppression of insulin signaling through a negative feedback loop that destabilizes IRS1.
- Dowling RJ, Topisirovic I, Fonseca BD, Sonenberg N (2010) Dissecting the role of mTOR: lessons from mTOR inhibitors. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1804(3), 433–9.
- Graff JR, Konicek BW, Carter JH, Marcusson EG (2008) Targeting the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E for cancer therapy. Cancer Res. 68(3), 631–4.
- Holcik M, Sonenberg N (2005) Translational control in stress and apoptosis. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 6(4), 318–27.
- Huang J, Manning BD (2008) The TSC1-TSC2 complex: a molecular switchboard controlling cell growth. Biochem. J. 412(2), 179–90.
- Ruvinsky I, Meyuhas O (2006) Ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation: from protein synthesis to cell size. Trends Biochem. Sci. 31(6), 342–8.
- Sonenberg N, Hinnebusch AG (2009) Regulation of translation initiation in eukaryotes: mechanisms and biological targets. Cell 136(4), 731–45.
We would like to thank Carson Thoreen and Prof. David Sabatini, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, MIT, Cambridge, MA, for reviewing this diagram.
created January 2002
revised November 2012