PTMScan® Discovery Applications
PTMScan® Discovery Services:
Advanced Proteomic Services for Target and Biomarker Discovery
PTMScan® Discovery from Cell Signaling Technology (CST) is a start-to-finish service providing comprehensive analytical profiling of post-translational modifications (PTMs), including serine/threonine and tyrosine phosphorylation (PhosphoScan®), ubiquitination (UbiScan®), and acetylation (AcetylScan®). PTMScan Discovery Services deliver hundreds to thousands of protein PTM identifications and quantification of PTM changes in customer samples. PTMScan Discovery Services includes proprietary sample fractionation, phosphopeptide immunoaffinity purification with CST optimized PTMScan Motif Antibodies, and identification using LC tandem mass spectrometry. This is coupled to extensive informatic data analysis and follow-up consultation between CST scientists and the customer.
The PhosphoScan® PhosphoSitePlus® Connection
PhosphoScan has led to many discoveries and has resulted in the identification of thousands of previously unpublished phosphorylation sites. Many of Cell Signaling Technology PhosphoScan research results are available to researchers through PhosphoSitePlus®, (www.phosphosite.org) an expert-curated knowledgebase of protein phosphorylation and other PTMs in vertebrates.
Pharma Services Department,
Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.
PTMScan Discovery Services provide quantitative cellular profiles using either of two methods of quantification: label-free quantification (LFQ) or stable isotope labeling by amino acids in cell culture (SILAC). LFQ analysis delivers a qualitative compilation of all PTM-peptides (tyr or ser/thr phosphorylated, ubiquitinated or acetylated) observed in the samples and relative quantification of fold-change differences in PTM-peptide mass spectra intensities between samples being compared in a PTMScan study. SILAC, which can be performed with cell lines, can be combined with PTMScan to deliver more precise relative quantification through the comparison of mass spectra intensity ratios of light and heavy peptide isotope pairs.
- Target validation – PhosphoScan has been used most extensively to discover novel mechanisms of disease based on changes in phosphorylation profiles associated with aberrantly activated kinases in disease model. UbiScan and AcetylScan are equally effective in identifying targets that regulate these cellular regulatory mechanisms, and that are altered in their activity in disease.
- Biomarker discovery – PhosphoScan, UbiScan, and AcetylScan each provide a strategy for profiling lead compound activity, and enabling the discovery and validation of biomarkers of compound activity and disease sensitivity.
- Patient stratification – PTMScan studies also enable correlation of target enzyme activation and drug sensitivity, which can provide the basis for patient stratification assay development.
- PTMScan Discovery Report, containing qualitative and quantitative results, analysis, interpretation and recommendations, as well as DTA/mzXML ion spectra files for client internal analysis.
- PTMScan Discovery Report includes peptide sequences, sites of post translational modification, parent proteins, function, and classification information provided in table format with detailed explanation of table contents and guidelines for data review.
- Consultation with CST scientists for discussion and review of the PTMScan Discovery results.