Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
HP1α/β (C7F11) Rabbit mAb #2623
|2623S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|2623||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||25||Rabbit IgG|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation, IHC-P=Immunohistochemistry (Paraffin), IF-IC=Immunofluorescence (Immunocytochemistry)
Specificity / Sensitivity
HP1α/β (C7F11) Rabbit mAb detects endogenous levels of total HP1 α and HP1 β protein. The antibody does not cross-react with HP1 γ proteins.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy terminus of human HP1 α.
Western blot analysis of lysates from HeLa, NIH/3T3, C6 and COS cells using HP1 α (C7F11) Rabbit mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human lung carcinoma, showing nuclear localization using HP1 α (C7F11) Rabbit mAb.
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcinoma using HP1 α (C7F11) Rabbit mAb in the presence of control peptide (left) or HP1 alpha blocking peptide #1004 (right).
Heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) is a family of heterochromatic adaptor molecules involved in both gene silencing and higher order chromatin structure (1). All three HP1 family members (α, β, and γ) are primarily associated with centromeric heterochromatin; however, HP1β and γ also localize to euchromatic sites in the genome (2,3). HP1 proteins are approximately 25 kDa in size and contain a conserved amino-terminal chromodomain, followed by a variable hinge region and a conserved carboxy-terminal chromoshadow domain. The chromodomain facilitates binding to histone H3 tri-methylated at Lys9, a histone "mark" closely associated with centromeric heterochromatin (4,5). The variable hinge region binds both RNA and DNA in a sequence-independent manner (6). The chromoshadow domain mediates the dimerization of HP1 proteins, in addition to binding multiple proteins implicated in gene silencing and heterochromatin formation, including the SUV39H histone methyltransferase, the DNMT1 and DNMT3a DNA methyltransferases, and the p150 subunit of chromatin-assembly factor-1 (CAF1) (7-9). In addition to contributing to heterochromatin formation and propagation, HP1 and SUV39H are also found complexed with retinoblastoma (Rb) and E2F6 proteins, both of which function to repress euchromatic gene transcription in quiescent cells (10,11). HP1 proteins are subject to multiple types of post-translational modifications, including phosphorylation, acetylation, methylation, ubiquitination, and sumoylation, suggesting multiple means of regulation (12-14).
- Maison, C. and Almouzni, G. (2004) Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 5, 296-304.
- Minc, E. et al. (2000) Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 90, 279-284.
- Nielsen, A.L. et al. (2001) Mol. Cell 7, 729-739.
- Lachner, M. et al. (2001) Nature 410, 116-120.
- Bannister, A.J. et al. (2001) Nature 410, 120-124.
- Muchardt, C. et al. (2002) EMBO Rep. 3, 975-981.
- Yamamoto, K. and Sonoda, M. (2003) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 301, 287-292.
- Fuks, F. et al. (2003) Nucleic Acids Res. 31, 2305-2312.
- Murzina, N. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell 4, 529-540.
- Nielsen, S.J. et al. (2001) Nature 412, 561-565.
- Ogawa, H. et al. (2002) Science 296, 1132-1136.
- Minc, E. et al. (1999) Chromosoma 108, 220-234.
- Zhao, T. et al. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 9512-9518.
- Lomberk, G. et al. (2006) Nat. Cell Biol. 8, 407-415.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 2616 HP1α Antibody
- 2613 HP1β Antibody
- 2619 HP1γ Antibody
- 9309 Rb (4H1) Mouse mAb
- 9715 Histone H3 Antibody
- 9706 Phospho-Histone H3 (Ser10) (6G3) Mouse mAb
- 9701 Phospho-Histone H3 (Ser10) Antibody
- 9711 Acetyl- and Phospho-Histone H3 (Lys9/Ser10) Antibody
- 9671 Acetyl-Histone H3 (Lys9) Antibody
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 2062 Histone Deacetylase 1 (HDAC1) Antibody
- 1004 HP1α Blocking Peptide
- 8112 SignalStain® Antibody Diluent
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Alexa Fluor® is a registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.
This antibody is developed, validated, and produced by CST using in part technology under license (granting certain rights including those under U.S. Patent No. 5,675,063) from Epitomics, Inc.