Product Pathways - Apoptosis
BIRC6 (D8B5) Rabbit mAb #8756
|8756S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|8756||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Hamster, Monkey||Endogenous||530||Rabbit IgG|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting
Specificity / Sensitivity
BIRC6 (D8B5) Rabbit mAb recognizes endogenous levels of total BIRC6 protein. Several bands of unknown origin between 120 and 500 kDa are detected in some cell lines. It is possible that these bands are degradation products of BIRC6.
Source / Purification
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Asp147 in human BIRC6 protein.
BIRC6/BRUCE/APOLLON is a member of the inhibitor of apoptosis protein (IAP) family. BIRC6 is a huge 530 kDa membrane-associated protein with a single survivin-like baculoviral IAP repeat (BIR) domain at the amino terminus, and a ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme domain at the carboxy terminus (1-3). Several research studies support the notion that BIRC6 functions as a dual regulator of cell death and cell division (4-6), and BIRC6 is the only essential BIR-containing protein in mammalian cell growth and development (4,7). Research studies have documented the overexpression of BIRC6 in colon cancer stem cells and in other cancer cell lines (8,9). BIRC6 inhibits apoptosis by either 1) binding to and inhibiting caspases (10) or 2) ubiquitinating the IAP antagonist SMAC and the apoptosis initiator caspase 9, thereby targeting these proteins for proteasomal degradation (4,5). BIRC6 itself is regulated by ubiquitination and proteasomal degradation upon stimulation of apoptosis (7,11).
- Hauser, H.P. et al. (1998) J Cell Biol 141, 1415-22.
- Verhagen, A.M. et al. (2001) Genome Biol 2, REVIEWS3009.
- Martin, S.J. (2004) Nat Cell Biol 6, 804-6.
- Hao, Y. et al. (2004) Nat Cell Biol 6, 849-60.
- Qiu, X.B. and Goldberg, A.L. (2005) J Biol Chem 280, 174-82.
- Pohl, C. and Jentsch, S. (2008) Cell 132, 832-45.
- Qiu, X.B. et al. (2004) EMBO J 23, 800-10.
- Van Houdt, W.J. et al. (2011) Mol Cell Proteomics 10, M111.011353.
- Chen, Z. et al. (1999) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 264, 847-54.
- Bartke, T. et al. (2004) Mol Cell 14, 801-11.
- Vaux, D.L. and Silke, J. (2005) Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6, 287-97.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9997 Tris Buffered Saline with Tween® 20 (TBST-10X)
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.