Product Pathways - MAPK Signaling
p38α MAPK Antibody #9218
|9218S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9218P||40 µl (4 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9218||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Already purchased this product? Write a Review.
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||40||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation, IHC-P=Immunohistochemistry (Paraffin)
Specificity / Sensitivity
p38α MAPK Antibody detects endogenous levels of total p38α MAPK, regardless of its phosphorylation state. This antibody does not cross-react with other p38 MAPK isoforms such as β, γ or δ.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the carboxy-terminal residues of human p38α MAPK. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa, NIH/3T3, PC12 and COS cells, using p38α MAPK Antibody.
Western blot analysis of extracts from Xenopus oocytes overexpressing Myc-tagged p38 isoforms, using p38α MAPK Antibody (upper) and Myc-Tag Antibody (lower) to demonstrate the isoform specificity of p38α MAPK Antibody. (Provided by Dr. Eusebio Perdiguero and Dr. Angel Nebreda, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Germany.)
Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcinoma, showing cytoplasmic and nuclear localization, using p38α MAPK Antibody.
p38 MAP kinase (MAPK), also called RK (1) or CSBP (2), is the mammalian orthologue of the yeast HOG kinase that participates in a signaling cascade controlling cellular responses to cytokines and stress (1-4). Four isoforms of p38 MAPK, p38α, β, γ (also known as Erk6 or SAPK3), and δ (also known as SAPK4) have been identified. Similar to the SAPK/JNK pathway, p38 MAPK is activated by a variety of cellular stresses including osmotic shock, inflammatory cytokines, lipopolysaccharide (LPS), UV light, and growth factors (1-5). MKK3, MKK6, and SEK activate p38 MAPK by phosphorylation at Thr180 and Tyr182. Activated p38 MAPK has been shown to phosphorylate and activate MAPKAP kinase 2 (3) and to phosphorylate the transcription factors ATF-2 (5), Max (6), and MEF2 (5-8).
SB203580 (4-(4-fluorophenyl)-2-(4-methylsulfinylphenyl)-5-(4-pyridyl)-imidazole) is a selective inhibitor of p38 MAPK. This compound inhibits the activation of MAPKAPK-2 by p38 MAPK and subsequent phosphorylation of HSP27 (9). SB203580 inhibits p38 MAPK catalytic activity by binding to the ATP-binding pocket, but does not inhibit phosphorylation of p38 MAPK by upstream kinases (10).
- Rouse, J. et al. (1994) Cell 78, 1027-1037.
- Han, J. et al. (1994) Science 265, 808-811.
- Lee, J.C. et al. (1994) Nature 372, 739-746.
- Freshney, N.W. et al. (1994) Cell 78, 1039-1049.
- Raingeaud, J. et al. (1995) J. Biol. Chem. 270, 7420-7426.
- Zervos, A.S. et al. (1995) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92, 10531-10534.
- Zhao, M. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 21-30.
- Yang, S.H. et al. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol. 19, 4028-4038.
- Cuenda, A. et al. (1995) FEBS Lett 364, 229-33.
- Kumar, S. et al. (1999) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 263, 825-31.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9913 Phospho-p38 MAPK Pathway Sampler Kit
- 9213 p38 MAPK Control Cell Extracts
- 4511 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) (D3F9) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 9215 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) (3D7) Rabbit mAb
- 2371 p38α MAPK (7D6) Rabbit mAb
- 9217 p38α MAPK (5F11) Mouse mAb
- 9228 p38α MAPK (L53F8) Mouse mAb
- 2339 p38β MAPK (C28C2) Rabbit mAb
- 2308 p38δ MAPK (10A8) Rabbit mAb
- 9216 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) (28B10) Mouse mAb
- 4631 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) (12F8) Rabbit mAb
- 2307 p38γ MAPK Antibody
- 9211 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) Antibody
- 9212 p38 MAPK Antibody
- 9214 p38δ MAPK Antibody
- 9210 PhosphoPlus® p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) Antibody Kit
- 9219 Phospho-p38 MAPK (Thr180/Tyr182) (28B10) Mouse mAb (Sepharose Bead Conjugate)
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.