Product Pathways - Chromatin Regulation / Epigenetics
Acetyl-Histone H4 (Lys16) Antibody #8804
|W IP||H M R Mk (Hm) (X) (Z) (B) (Dg)||Endogenous||11||Rabbit|
Reactivity Key: H=Human M=Mouse R=Rat Hm=Hamster Mk=Monkey X=Xenopus Z=Zebrafish B=Bovine Dg=Dog
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot. Species enclosed in parentheses are predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology.
Specificity / Sensitivity
Acetyl-Histone H4 (Lys16) Antibody recognizes endogenous levels of histone H4 protein only when acetylated at Lys16. This antibody does not cross-react with histone H4 acetylated at Lys5, 8, and 12.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding acetylated Lys16 of human histone H4 protein. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, untreated (-) or treated with Trichostatin A (TSA) #9950 (1 μM, 18 hr; +), using Acetyl-Histone H4 (Lys16) Antibody alone or pre-adsorbed with 1.5 μM of the indicated competitor peptides. Only the acetyl-histone H4 (Lys16) peptide competed away binding of the antibody.
The nucleosome, made up of four core histone proteins (H2A, H2B, H3, and H4), is the primary building block of chromatin. Originally thought to function as a static scaffold for DNA packaging, histones have now been shown to be dynamic proteins, undergoing multiple types of post-translational modifications, including acetylation, phosphorylation, methylation, and ubiquitination (1,2). Histone acetylation occurs mainly on the amino-terminal tail domains of histones H2A (Lys5), H2B (Lys5, 12, 15, and 20), H3 (Lys9, 14, 18, 23, 27, 36 and 56), and H4 (Lys5, 8, 12, and 16) and is important for the regulation of histone deposition, transcriptional activation, DNA replication, recombination, and DNA repair (1-3). Hyper-acetylation of the histone tails neutralizes the positive charge of these domains and is believed to weaken histone-DNA and nucleosome-nucleosome interactions, thereby destabilizing chromatin structure and increasing the accessibility of DNA to various DNA-binding proteins (4,5). In addition, acetylation of specific lysine residues creates docking sites for a protein module called the bromodomain, which binds to acetylated lysine residues (6). Many transcription and chromatin regulatory proteins contain bromodomains and may be recruited to gene promoters, in part, through binding of acetylated histone tails. Histone acetylation is mediated by histone acetyltransferases (HATs), such as CBP/p300, GCN5L2, PCAF, and Tip60, which are recruited to genes by DNA-bound protein factors to facilitate transcriptional activation (3). Deacetylation, which is mediated by histone deacetylases (HDAC and sirtuin proteins), reverses the effects of acetylation and generally facilitates transcriptional repression (7,8).
- Peterson, C.L. and Laniel, M.A. (2004) Curr Biol 14, R546-51.
- Jaskelioff, M. and Peterson, C.L. (2003) Nat Cell Biol 5, 395-9.
- Roth, S.Y. et al. (2001) Annu Rev Biochem 70, 81-120.
- Workman, J.L. and Kingston, R.E. (1998) Annu Rev Biochem 67, 545-79.
- Hansen, J.C. et al. (1998) Biochemistry 37, 17637-41.
- Yang, X.J. (2004) Bioessays 26, 1076-87.
- Haberland, M. et al. (2009) Nat Rev Genet 10, 32-42.
- Haigis, M.C. and Sinclair, D.A. (2010) Annu Rev Pathol 5, 253-95.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 8647 Acetyl-Histone H4 (Lys5) (D12B3) Rabbit mAb
- 2594 Acetyl-Histone H4 (Lys8) Antibody
- 2591 Acetyl-Histone H4 (Lys12) Antibody
- 2935 Histone H4 (L64C1) Mouse mAb
- 2327 Phospho-SirT1 (Ser27) Antibody
- 2314 Phospho-SirT1 (Ser47) Antibody
- 8469 SirT1 (1F3) Mouse mAb
- 7071 Phototope®-HRP Western Blot Detection System, Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 7003 20X LumiGLO® Reagent and 20X Peroxide
- 9998 BSA
- 9999 Nonfat Dry Milk
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures.