Upstream / Downstream
Explore pathways related to this product.
To Purchase # 8868S
|8868S||100 µl (50 tests)||$329.00.0|
Find answers on our FAQs page.
- Additional protein information
- Analytical tools
ALK (D5F3®) XP® Rabbit mAb (PE Conjugate) #8868
Gallery: ALK (D5F3®) XP® Rabbit mAb (PE Conjugate) #8868
Flow Cytometry, Methanol Permeabilization Protocol for Direct Conjugates
A. Solutions and Reagents
NOTE: Prepare solutions with reverse osmosis deionized (RODI) or equivalent grade water.
- 20X Phosphate Buffered Saline (PBS): (#9808) To prepare 1 L 1X PBS: add 50 ml 20X PBS to 950 ml dH2O, mix.
- 16% Formaldehyde (methanol free).
- 100% methanol.
- Incubation Buffer: Dissolve 0.5 g Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) (#9998) in 100 ml 1X PBS. Store at 4°C.
NOTE: If using whole blood, lyse red blood cells and wash by centrifugation prior to fixation.
- Collect cells by centrifugation and aspirate supernatant.
- Resuspend cells in 0.5-1 ml 1X PBS. Add formaldehyde to obtain a final concentration of 4%.
- Fix for 15 min at room temperature.
- Wash by centrifugation with excess 1X PBS. Discard supernatant in appropriate waste container. Resuspend cells in 0.5-1 ml 1X PBS.
- Permeabilize cells by adding ice-cold 100% methanol slowly to pre-chilled cells, while gently vortexing, to a final concentration of 90% methanol.
- Incubate 30 min on ice.
- Proceed with immunostaining (Section D) or store cells at -20°C in 90% methanol.
- Aliquot desired number of cells into tubes or wells.
- Wash cells by centrifugation in excess 1X PBS to remove methanol. Discard supernatant in appropriate waste container. Repeat if necessary.
- Resuspend cells in 100 µl of diluted antibody conjugate (prepared in incubation buffer at the recommended dilution).
- Incubate for 1 hr at room temperature. Protect from light.
- Wash by centrifugation in incubation buffer. Discard supernatant. Repeat.
- Resuspend cells in 1X PBS and analyze on flow cytometer; alternatively, for DNA staining, proceed to optional DNA stain (Section E).
E. Optional DNA Dye
- Resuspend cells in 0.5 ml of DNA dye (e.g. Propidium Iodide (PI)/RNase Staining Solution #4087).
- Incubate for at least 5 min at room temperature.
- Analyze cells in DNA staining solution on flow cytometer.
posted July 2009
revised June 2017
ALK (D5F3®) XP® Rabbit mAb (PE Conjugate) detects endogenous levels of total ALK protein as well as ALK fusion proteins, such as EML4-ALK variants and NPM-ALK, even at low levels. This antibody does not cross-react with other family members.Species Reactivity: Human
Monoclonal antibody is produced by immunizing animals with recombinant protein corresponding to residues in the carboxy terminus of human ALK.
This Cell Signaling Technology antibody is conjugated to phycoerythrin (PE) and tested in-house for direct flow cytometry analysis in human cells. The antibody is expected to exhibit the same species cross-reactivity as the unconjugated ALK (D5F3®) XP® Rabbit mAb #3633.
Anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) is a tyrosine kinase receptor for pleiotrophin (PTN), a growth factor involved in embryonic brain development (1-3). In ALK-expressing cells, PTN induces phosphorylation of both ALK and the downstream effectors IRS-1, Shc, PLCγ, and PI3 kinase (1). ALK was originally discovered as a nucleophosmin (NPM)-ALK fusion protein produced by a translocation (4). Investigators have found that the NPM-ALK fusion protein is a constitutively active, oncogenic tyrosine kinase associated with anaplastic lymphoma (4). Research literature suggests that activation of PLCγ by NPM-ALK may be a crucial step for its mitogenic activity and involved in the pathogenesis of anaplastic lymphomas (5).
A distinct ALK oncogenic fusion protein involving ALK and echinoderm microtubule-associated protein like 4 (EML4) has been described in the research literature from a non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) cell line, with corresponding fusion transcripts present in some cases of lung adenocarcinoma. The short, amino-terminal region of the microtubule-associated protein EML4 is fused to the kinase domain of ALK (6-8).
Investigators have identified ALK translocations with other fusion partners, such as TRK-fused gene (TFG) and KIF5B, which have also been associated with NSCLC (6,7). In particular, the EML4-ALK fusion protein has been found in 3-7% of NSCLC samples (6-14).
For Research Use Only. Not For Use In Diagnostic Procedures. Cell Signaling Technology is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc. D5F3 is a registered trademark of Cell Signaling Technology. Inc. XP is a registered trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.