IMPORTANT: Please see the product-specific Flow Cytometry protocol on the product webpage for appropriate fixation and permeabilization conditions, and recommended antibody dilution.
A. Solutions and Reagents
All reagents required for this protocol may be efficiently purchased together in our Intracellular Flow Cytometry Kit (Methanol) #13593, or individually using the catalog numbers listed below.
NOTE: Prepare solutions with reverse osmosis deionized (RODI) or equivalent grade water.
- 1X Phosphate Buffered Saline (PBS): To prepare 1 L 1X PBS: add 100 ml 10X PBS (#12528) to 900 ml water, mix.
- 4% Formaldehyde, Methanol-Free (#47746)
- 100% Methanol (#13604): Chill before use
- Antibody Dilution Buffer: Purchase ready-to-use Flow Cytometry Antibody Dilution Buffer (#13616), or prepare a 0.5% BSA PBS buffer by dissolving 0.5 g Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) (#9998) in 100 ml 1X PBS. Store at 4°C.
- Recommended secondary antibodies: For detection of unconjugated antibodies, select a secondary antibody that matches the host species of your primary antibody (e.g., rabbit). Click here for an up-to-date list of secondary antibodies approved for flow cytometry.
NOTE: When including fluorescent cellular dyes in your experiment (including viability dyes, DNA dyes, etc.), please refer to the dye product page for the recommended protocol. Visit www.cellsignal.com/flowdyes for a listing of cellular dyes validated for use in flow cytometry.
NOTE: Adherent cells or tissue should be dissociated and in single-cell suspension prior to fixation.
NOTE: Optimal centrifugation conditions will vary depending upon cell type and reagent volume. Generally, 150-300g for 1-5 minutes will be sufficient to pellet the cells.
NOTE: If using whole blood, lyse red blood cells and wash by centrifugation prior to fixation.
NOTE: Antibodies targeting CD markers or other extracellular proteins may be added prior to fixation if the epitope is disrupted by formaldehyde and/or methanol. The antibodies will remain bound to the target of interest during the fixation and permeabilization process. However, note that some fluorophores (including PE and APC) are damaged by methanol and thus should not be added prior to permeabilization. Conduct a small-scale experiment if you are unsure.
- Pellet cells by centrifugation and remove supernatant.
- Resuspend cells in approximately 100 µl 4% formaldehyde per 1 million cells. Mix well to dissociate pellet and prevent cross-linking of individual cells.
- Fix for 15 min at room temperature (20-25°C).
- Proceed to Permeabilization step.
- Alternatively, cells may be stored overnight in 1X PBS. To remove formaldehyde, wash by centrifugation with excess 1X PBS. Discard supernatant containing formaldehyde in appropriate waste container. Resuspend cells in 1X PBS and store at 4°C.
- Permeabilize cells by adding ice-cold 100% methanol slowly to pre-chilled cells, while gently vortexing, to a final concentration of 90% methanol. Alternatively, remove formaldehyde or PBS by centrifugation and resuspend in ice cold 90% methanol (v/v in 1X PBS) as described above.
- Permeabilize for a minimum of 10 min on ice.
- Proceed with immunostaining (Section D) or store cells at -20°C in 90% methanol.
NOTE: Count cells using a hemocytometer or alternative method.
- Aliquot desired number of cells into tubes or wells. (Generally, 5x105 to 1x106 cells per assay).
- Wash cells by centrifugation in excess 1X PBS to remove methanol. Discard supernatant in appropriate waste container. Repeat if necessary.
- Resuspend cells in 100 µl of diluted primary antibody, prepared in Antibody Dilution Buffer at a recommended dilution or as determined via titration.
- Incubate for 1 hr at room temperature.
- Wash by centrifugation in Antibody Dilution Buffer or 1X PBS. Discard supernatant. Repeat. If using directly conjugated antibodies, skip to step 9.
- Resuspend cells in 100 µl of diluted fluorochrome-conjugated secondary antibody (prepared in Antibody Dilution Buffer at the recommended dilution).
- Incubate for 30 min at room temperature.
- Wash by centrifugation in Antibody Dilution Buffer or 1X PBS. Discard supernatant. Repeat.
- Resuspend cells in 200-500 µl of 1X PBS and analyze on flow cytometer.